Manage episode 358967826 series 1394353
On today’s show, Stig Brodersen talks with co-host William Green, the author of “Richer, Wiser, Happier.” They discuss what has made them Richer, Wiser, or Happier in the past quarter.
IN THIS EPISODE YOU’LL LEARN:
00:00 - Intro
02:31 - How to think about investing with an asset manager that yields a lower return and has good values, or an asset manager with a higher return and bad values.
27:35 - The role of money vs. happiness for billionaires.
48:55 - What Stig and William learned from Ray Dalio.
54:51 - Why pain + reflection = progress.
1:25:16 - What Stig and William learned from Charlie Munger.
1:44:22 - Why William bought Alibaba and Seritage Growth Properties.
1:53:09 - Which investing books made it to the top 5 for Stig and William for Q1 2023, and why.
Disclaimer: Slight discrepancies in the timestamps may occur due to podcast platform differences.
BOOKS AND RESOURCES
- Listen to Stig Brodersen and William Green’s episode on Money and Happiness or watch the video.
- Listen to William Green’s interview with Ray Dalio or watch the video.
- Tune in to William Green’s interview with Fred Martin about being a disciplined growth investor or watch the video.
- William Green’s book Richer, Wiser, Happier – read reviews of this book.
- Fred Martin’s book, Benjamin Graham and the Power of Growth Stocks – read reviews of this book.
- Bruce Greenwald’s book, Competition Demystified – read reviews of this book.
- Joel Tillinghast’s book, Big Money Thinks Small – read reviews of this book.
- Ray Dalio’s book, Your Guided Journal – read reviews of this book.
- Aswath Damodaran’s book, The Little Book of Valuation – read reviews of this book.
- Gautam Baid’s book, The Joys of Compounding – read reviews of this book.
- Q&A with Charlie Munger from the DIJO meeting.
- Watch the trailer for Free Solo.
NEW TO THE SHOW?
- Check out our We Study Billionaires Starter Packs.
- Browse through all our episodes (complete with transcripts) here.
- Try our tool for picking stock winners and managing our portfolios: TIP Finance Tool.
- Enjoy exclusive perks from our favorite Apps and Services.
- Stay up-to-date on financial markets and investing strategies through our daily newsletter, We Study Markets.
P.S The Investor’s Podcast Network is excited to launch a subreddit devoted to our fans in discussing financial markets, stock picks, questions for our hosts, and much more! Join our subreddit r/TheInvestorsPodcast today!
- Invest in Bitcoin with confidence on River. It's the most secure way to buy Bitcoin with 100% full reserve custody and zero fees on recurring orders.
- Easily diversify beyond stocks and bonds, and build wealth through streamlined CRE investing with EquityMultiple.
- Let an expert do your taxes from start to finish so you can relax with TurboTax.
- Have Commonwealth Private's Private Bankers take the time to understand your goals and tailor solutions that create less for you to do and more for you to enjoy.
- What does happen when money and big feelings mix? Tune in to find out on the new podcast, Open Money, presented by Servus Credit Union.
- Get the professional support you need to prepare for your future career with UBC Sauder School of Business.
- Make connections, gain knowledge, and uplift your governance CV by becoming a member of the AICD today.
- Get yourself a Blockstream Jade -- An all-in-one, bitcoin-only hardware wallet that makes protecting your bitcoin so easy. Use the coupon code Fundamentals to get 10% off.
- Set, track, and manage your financial goals as your life evolves with Scotia Smart Investor.
- Support our free podcast by supporting our sponsors.
HELP US OUT!
Help us reach new listeners by leaving us a rating and review on Apple Podcasts! It takes less than 30 seconds, and really helps our show grow, which allows us to bring on even better guests for you all! Thank you – we really appreciate it!