TIP534: The Joys of Compounding by Gautam Baid
Manage episode 357863611 series 1394353
On today’s episode, Clay Finck reviews Gautam Baid’s book, The Joys of Compounding.
Gautam Baid is the Managing Partner and Fund Manager of Stellar Wealth Partners India Fund, a Delaware-based investment partnership which is available to accredited investors in the US. The fund is modeled after the Buffett Partnership fee structure and invests in listed Indian equities with a long-term, fundamental, and value-oriented approach.
IN THIS EPISODE YOU’LL LEARN:
0:00 - Intro
05:54 - Why we should commit to lifelong learning.
14:49 - How mental models can help us make more rational and effective decisions.
16:53 - How understanding first principles can help us better understand the world around us.
18:06 - What the Feynman Technique is and how you can use it to learn anything well.
30:49 - What Warren Buffett and Bill Gates consider their most critical factor to their success.
31:51 - Why the best investors are those with a behavioral edge.
38:13 - Why the world’s most successful people choose the right role models to learn from.
42:16 - Why successful investing requires extreme humility.
Disclaimer: Slight discrepancies in the timestamps may occur due to podcast platform differences.
BOOKS AND RESOURCES
- Check out The Joys of Compounding.
- Check out our recent episode covering Mark Leonard’s Letter’s and Constellation Software. Watch the video here.
- Don’t miss our review of Joel Tillinghast’s book – Big Money Thinks Small. Watch the video here.
NEW TO THE SHOW?
- Check out our We Study Billionaires Starter Packs.
- Browse through all our episodes (complete with transcripts) here.
- Try our tool for picking stock winners and managing our portfolios: TIP Finance Tool.
- Enjoy exclusive perks from our favorite Apps and Services.
- Stay up-to-date on financial markets and investing strategies through our daily newsletter, We Study Markets.
P.S The Investor’s Podcast Network is excited to launch a subreddit devoted to our fans in discussing financial markets, stock picks, questions for our hosts, and much more! Join our subreddit r/TheInvestorsPodcast today!
- Invest in Bitcoin with confidence on River. It's the most secure way to buy Bitcoin with 100% full reserve custody and zero fees on recurring orders.
- If you’re aware you need to improve your bitcoin security but have been putting it off, Unchained Capital's Concierge Onboarding is a simple way to get started—sooner rather than later. Book your onboarding today and at checkout, get $50 off with the promo code FUNDAMENTALS.
- Easily diversify beyond stocks and bonds, and build wealth through streamlined CRE investing with EquityMultiple.
- Get the professional support you need to prepare for your future career with UBC Sauder School of Business.
- Have Commonwealth Private's Private Bankers take the time to understand your goals and tailor solutions that create less for you to do and more for you to enjoy.
- Set, track, and manage your financial goals as your life evolves with Scotia Smart Investor.
- Let an expert do your taxes from start to finish so you can relax with TurboTax.
- Make connections, gain knowledge, and uplift your governance CV by becoming a member of the AICD today.
- Support our free podcast by supporting our sponsors.
HELP US OUT!
Help us reach new listeners by leaving us a rating and review on Apple Podcasts! It takes less than 30 seconds, and really helps our show grow, which allows us to bring on even better guests for you all! Thank you – we really appreciate it!