Manage episode 348119142 series 1394353
IN THIS EPISODE, YOU’LL LEARN:
- 03:07 - How Joel Tillinghast fell in love with investing as a boy of eight or nine.
- 07:51 - What he learned from his first investment, which he’s (so far) held for 54 years.
- 09:12 - Why it’s critical not to overpay, even when you’re investing in a superb business.
- 11:04 - How his approach differs from the strategy of another Fidelity legend, Will Danoff.
- 14:55 - What Joel admires about Cathie Wood.
- 19:20 - What he learned from a disastrous macroeconomic bet using borrowed money.
- 33:36 - Why it’s important to invest in “adaptive companies.”
- 34:50 - How he was hired at Fidelity after cold calling Peter Lynch.
- 39:56 - How young people can break into the investment business at a firm like Fidelity.
- 44:59 - What qualities made Peter Lynch a wildly successful stock picker.
- 53:38 - Why Joel avoids biotech stocks.
- 54:25 - Why it’s critical to know yourself & stick to games where you truly have an edge.
- 56:47 - How he thinks about diversification & why he owns a huge number of stocks.
- 1:11:07 - How he made more than 1,000 times his money investing in Monster Beverage.
- 1:10:08 - How emotional exhaustion led him to announce his retirement next year.
- 1:23:12 - How he was affected by a terrifying experience of an earthquake in Japan.
- 1:27:21 - How to handle adversity by letting go of what we can’t control.
- 1:29:26 - What he’s trying to teach Fidelity’s next generation of fund managers.
- 1:32:27 - What gives Joel satisfaction as he looks back on his extraordinary career.
- 1:35:24 - What he learned from his beloved father.
Disclaimer: Slight discrepancies in the timestamps may occur due to podcast platform differences.
BOOKS AND RESOURCES
- Joel Tillinghast’s Fidelity Low-Priced Stock Fund.
- Joel’s book, Big Money Thinks Small: Biases, Blind Spots, & Smarter Investing.
- William Green’s book, “Richer, Wiser, Happier” – read the reviews of this book.
- William Green’s Twitter.
NEW TO THE SHOW?
- Check out our We Study Billionaires Starter Packs.
- Browse through all our episodes (complete with transcripts) here.
- Try our tool for picking stock winners and managing our portfolios: TIP Finance Tool.
- Enjoy exclusive perks from our favorite Apps and Services.
- Stay up-to-date on financial markets and investing strategies through our daily newsletter, We Study Markets.
- Learn how to better start, manage, and grow your business with the best business podcasts.
P.S The Investor’s Podcast Network is excited to launch a subreddit devoted to our fans in discussing financial markets, stock picks, questions for our hosts, and much more! Join our subreddit r/TheInvestorsPodcast today!
- Invest in high-quality, cash-flowing real estate without all of the hassle with Passive Investing.
- Private assets represent 98% of companies in North America but are absent in most portfolios. Reconstruct your portfolio with private markets with Mackenzie Investments.
- Have gold and silver shipped directly to your door for you to hold at your home. Get BullionMax’s Gold Investor Kit today - 3 ounces of the world’s most desirable gold coins, including the Gold American Eagle and Canadian Maple Leaf.
- More wealth, more purpose, or making more of a difference? Commonwealth Private helps you create more of yours - with exceptional service and experts who meticulously tailor opportunities for you.
- Whether you’re exploring ways to manage volatility, seeking income and diversification opportunities, or looking for tax management strategies- Invesco has over 200 ETFs to help you meet your financial goals. Visit invesco.com for a prospectus with this information.
- Get position and investment info for nearly 6,000 Asset Management Companies with Moomoo, Australia’s first A.I. powered trading platform. Sign up and fund your moomoo account before October 31 and get $10 for every $100 you deposit. All investment carries risk. AFSL 224 663. T&Cs apply.
- Monitor your recovery, sleep, training, and health, with personalized recommendations and coaching feedback with WHOOP. Use code WSB to save 10% off your order today.
- Find an advisor who’s invested in you with iA Financial Services Inc.
- Start printing everything your small business needs and discover the endless printabilities with VistaPrint.
- If you’re aware you need to improve your bitcoin security but have been putting it off, Unchained Capital's Concierge Onboarding is a simple way to get started—sooner rather than later. Book your onboarding today and at checkout, get $50 off with the promo code FUNDAMENTALS.
- When you want to be a better problem solver, therapy can get you there. Visit BetterHelp today to get 10% off your first month.
- If your business has five or more employees and managed to survive Covid you could be eligible to receive a payroll tax rebate of up to twenty-six thousand dollars per employee. Find out if your business qualifies with Innovation Refunds.
- Enjoy 10% off your first booking in Viator’s world of over 300,000 experiences you’ll remember. Download the Viator app now and use code VIATOR10.
- Launch your thing into the spotlight and start selling anywhere with Shopify.
- Get personalized, expert advice that helps you see things clearly with ATB.
- Take a position daily on potential price movements, and gain exposure while limiting risk with Interactive Brokers.
- Ship with FedEx and be ready for this holiday season with picture proof of delivery.
- Support our free podcast by supporting our sponsors.
HELP US OUT!
Help us reach new listeners by leaving us a rating and review on Apple Podcasts! It takes less than 30 seconds, and really helps our show grow, which allows us to bring on even better guests for you all! Thank you – we really appreciate it!