Manage episode 331445446 series 2394563
Today Chris is talking with Clay Drinko, Ph.D. Clay is an author and educator. He writes for Psychology Today about the intersection between improv comedy, science, and everyday life. He's also the author of the first academic book connecting improv and cognitive science, Theatrical Improvisation, Consciousness, and Cognition. His most recent book, Play Your Way Sane, was published by Simon & Schuster last year and applies his improv research to everyday life. [June 14, 2022]
00:00 – Intro
- Social-Engineer.com - http://www.social-engineer.com/
- Managed Voice Phishing - https://www.social-engineer.com/services/vishing-service/
- Managed Email Phishing - https://www.social-engineer.com/services/se-phishing-service/
- Adversarial Simulations - https://www.social-engineer.com/services/social-engineering-penetration-test/
- Social-Engineer channel on SLACK - https://social-engineering-hq.slack.com/ssb
- CLUTCH - http://www.pro-rock.com/
- innocentlivesfoundation.org - http://www.innocentlivesfoundation.org/
02:27 – Clay Drinko intro
03:27 – How does someone in Improv decide to study Cognitive Science?
05:46 – Losing anxiousness through performance
07:34 – The importance of a shift in focus
08:52 – Active Listening
11:41 – Yes, and...
14:01 – Don't try to be funny
15:54 – Establishing "who" and "where" you are
18:57 – How do you apply Cognitive Science to the idea of improv?
21:56 – Leaving your "baggage" at the door
25:13 – Managing the negative
26:40 – What are the biggest life skills you've learned from improv?
28:13 – Reflective questioning - Empathy or Selfishness?
31:03 – You are not special
34:29 – Do you want my help?
37:37 – Find Clay Drinko online
38:13 – Book Recommendations:
- Unmasking the Social Engineer - Christopher J. Hadnagy
- Nightbitch - Rachel Yoder
- Clay’s Book – Play Your Way Sane - Clay Drinko
40:34 – Who would you consider your biggest mentors?
- Advisor and Professor – Shirley Huston-Findley
43:14 – Guest Wrap Up
44:04 – Outro