The Remarkable Podcast with Dave Mooring: The Marketing Podcast for Podcasters Who Aren't Marketers
Jay Posey on Storytelling, from Hollywood to the Moon (and Back)
Manage episode 210756926 series 2368118
In this episode of Remarkable, I get to have a conversation with a long-time friend of mine, Jay Posey, who is a narrative designer and video game developer as well as a best-selling science fiction author.
He s had integral roles in the development of video games for Red Storm Entertainment, an Ubisoft studio that was co-founded in 1996 by novelist Tom Clancy and known for award winning games such as Ghost Recon, Rainbow Six, and Far Cry.
Outside of work, Jay has written a science fiction trilogy which was published by Angry Robot Books called Legends of the Duskwalker, the first of which is a best-selling novel entitled Three.
His 4th book, Outriders, is part of a new series, and will be available online and in a book store near you on May 3, 2016.
Note: Pre-order a copy of Jay’s new book, Outriders, before May 3 and send me your receipt to be entered for a chance to win an autographed copy of his best-selling book, Three (Legends of the Duskwalker Book 1)
In this episode, Jay and I discuss:
- How to craft stories that truly connect with your audience
- The keys to great storytelling
- The importance of the 3-act structure
- Where most people go wrong when telling stories
- How to bring the art of storytelling into interviews
- Key elements for great interviews
- Specific questions you can ask to get engaging responses
- Tips for building a loyal fan base and following
- The #1 thing you must do before you can start building an audience
- The keys to creating life-long fans
- How to use Twitter to engage with your audience
- Overcoming imposter syndrome
Listen to my interview with Jay Posey below:
Links and Resources Mentioned:
The following list of the links, podcasts, and resources mentioned in this episode of Remarkable.
- Ubisoft Studios
- Redstorm Entertainment
- Tom Clancy
- Angry Robot Publishing
- Three by Jay Pose
- Hardcore History with Dan Carlin
- Wrath of the Khans with Dan Carlin
- Script Notes with John August and Craig Mason
- The Tim Ferriss Show
- Cal Fussman interviewed by Tim Ferriss
- Hack the Entrepreneur by Jon Nastor
- Chuck Wendig
- John Scalzi
- The Legends of the Duskwalker by Jay Posey
- Outriders by Jay Posey
- No Easy Day by Kevin Maurer
- Hope for the Warriors
- Jay on Twitter
Jay’s Suggested Interview Questions
- What was your normal life?
- What was the moment of change?
- What were the challenges that you faced as you were on your way?
- How did you overcome them?
- What did you learn along the way?
- Who did you meet?
- What people helped you?
- Who were your biggest obstacles – people who made it difficult for you?
Read or download the full transcript of this episode: Jay Posey On Storytelling, from Hollywood to the Moon (and Back).
Thanks For Tuning In!
Hey, thanks so much for stopping by and for listening! How d you enjoy the show?
I d love to hear your feedback. You can leave me a comment below!
If you enjoyed this episode and think you know someone else who ll enjoy it, please share it I ve made it easy, just click on your favorite social media button and spread the word.
Also, just like on Amazon, user reviews let people know if the show is worth listening to or not. So if you don t mind, head over to iTunes and leave me an honest review. I would greatly appreciate it and I do take time to read each one!
And while you re there, don t forget to subscribe to the show so you ll get automatic updates when I release future episodes.
That s all for now, go be Remarkable!
The post Jay Posey on Storytelling, from Hollywood to the Moon (and Back) appeared first on SuperSimpl.