Manage episode 363554110 series 1968343
My guest on the podcast today is Jill Weisenberger. She’s a registered dietitian nutritionist, certified diabetes care and education specialist, and the author of Prediabetes: A Complete Guide, which is now out in a newly updated 2nd edition.
And the timing couldn’t be better because a couple of days after I received the announcement about the release of the updated edition, I got the results of some bloodwork that was done as part of a routine physical. And my fasting blood glucose reading was 101… with a little “H” next to it to indicate that this reading is considered “high.” In fact, a fasting blood glucose level between 100 and 124 meets the diagnostic criteria for prediabetes. So, this topic just got personal for me!
Highlights from our conversation:
- How prediabetes is diagnosed (there’s more to it than just a single test result)
- The importance of putting individual test results into context
- Who is at risk (more people than you might think)
- Why Type 2 diabetes (and prediabetes) are not always or only due to lifestyle choices
- The two main issues that cause high blood sugar in people with diabetes
- Non-dietary strategies for increasing insulin sensitivity
- The three different types of physical activity and how they affect blood sugar metabolism
- The best timing for exercise
- The type of carbohydrates that improve insulin sensitivity
- The role of supplements in managing blood sugar
- Weight-neutral approaches to diabetes care and prevention
Resource for listeners:
Nutrition Diva is hosted by Monica Reinagel. Have a nutrition question? Send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org or leave a voicemail at 443-961-6206.
Nutrition Diva is a part of Quick and Dirty Tips.