TMHS 657: How Alcohol Influences Metabolism and Longevity
Manage episode 354078554 series 60566
In Western culture, drinking alcohol has become a societal norm. Drinking is often used during times of celebration, for relaxation purposes, and to socialize with others. Not only is alcohol one of the most utilized drugs, it also the most accessible. On today’s show, we’re going to uncover the health risks and benefits of drinking alcohol.
You’re going to hear the peer-reviewed data on exactly how drinking alcohol impacts human metabolic health and longevity. We’ll talk about how the body processes alcohol, and how alcohol consumption can impact biological functions like fat-burning, hormone balance, and the microbiome. You’ll learn about the links between drinking and risks for developing diseases like cancer and Alzheimer’s disease.
We’ll discuss how drinking can impact sleep quality, cognitive health, and so much more. You’ll also learn some practical tips and tools you can use to mitigate some of alcohol’s harmful effects. I hope this episode arms you with the information to make more empowered decisions about alcohol consumption.
In this episode you’ll discover:
- The history of humans consuming alcohol.
- Why alcohol is a macronutrient.
- What the early uses of alcohol were.
- Why beer and wine have less than 15% alcohol by volume.
- The origin of the word spirits.
- What happens in the body when alcohol is consumed.
- How consuming dietary fat impacts the processing of alcohol.
- The effects of drinking alcohol on the metabolism.
- How drinking alcohol impacts longevity.
- Why alcohol consumption decreases our ability to burn fat.
- How alcohol impacts hunger hormones.
- The metabolic effects of drinking sugary alcoholic beverages.
- How excessive drinking can create hormone imbalances.
- The truth about resveratrol in red wine.
- How drinking alters the microbiome.
- The connection between drinking alcohol and cancer.
- What DNA methylation is.
- Why drinking and leaky gut are linked.
- How alcohol consumption can disturb sleep quality.
Items mentioned in this episode include:
- PiqueLife.com/model -- Get 15% off any subscription + a free starter kit!
- Onnit.com/model -- Save an exclusive 10% on performance supplements & tools!
- How Our Genes Impact Viruses with Dr. Ben Lynch – Episode 558
- How to Eat to Beat Disease with Dr. William Li – Episode 345
- How Neuroscience is Transforming Psychiatry with Dr. Daniel Amen – Episode 400
- Time Restricted Eating Transforms Your Brain with Dr. Andrew Huberman – Episode 524
- Use Neuroscience to Optimize Your Longevity with Dr. Lisa Mosconi – Episode 596
Join TMHS Facebook community - Model Nation
Be sure you are subscribed to this podcast to automatically receive your episodes: