TMHS 656: How Processed Food Companies Have Taken Control Of University Research & Government Recommendations - With Calley Means
Manage episode 353863068 series 60566
Each year the US healthcare system spends billions of dollars on pharmaceuticals and innovations, yet our citizens continue to get sicker and sicker. And while many providers truly want to help folks, their education primarily teaches them to write prescriptions for symptoms—not address the root causes of ailments. Meanwhile, our government works hand in hand with food companies to market and promote the very foods that exacerbate inflammatory and chronic illnesses.
While the idea of corrupt, powerful entities and a broken healthcare system might seem overpowering, we have a lot of power as citizens to begin changing the paradigm of what health means. Today’s guest, Calley Means, is here to talk about exactly what we can do to begin healing our broken systems. As a former consultant for food and pharmaceutical companies, Calley has a unique and well-informed viewpoint on this matter. He is the co-founder of TrueMed, a company that is revolutionizing the way patients use pre-tax funds for health expenses.
In this interview, you’re going to hear enlightening conversations on the US food system and pharmaceutical industry. Calley is sharing the behind-the-scenes playbook of the tactics processed food companies use to gain public trust. We’re going to talk about how government programs promote disease and disproportionately affect children and minority groups. We’re also going to discuss how we can create a revolution and lead the charge toward true health for future generations. Enjoy!
In this episode you’ll discover:
- The problem with how our medical system treats patients.
- Calley’s experience as a consultant for food and pharmaceutical companies.
- The percentage of food stamp funding goes toward sugary drinks and processed foods.
- How structural racism in government-funded programs affects kids.
- The suspicious connection between soda companies and civil rights groups.
- Tactics that processed food companies use to get nutritionist endorsements.
- Which entity funded the study that created the food pyramid.
- The connection between university research and food companies.
- Why doctors have minimal training in nutrition.
- The power of root-cause-based treatment.
- An important distinction between life expectancy and quality of life.
- How to begin changing an unsustainable system.
- A conversation on freedom of choice.
- Why we need to fix food subsidies to improve our society’s health.
- What inflammation is, and why it matters.
- The power of tapping into your body’s innate intelligence.
- How to use HSA & FSA accounts to promote health and prevent disease.
Items mentioned in this episode include:
- PiqueLife.com/model -- Get 15% off any subscription + a free starter kit!
- Organifi.com/Model -- Use the coupon code MODEL for 20% off!
- Connect with Calley Means Website / Twitter / Instagram
Join TMHS Facebook community - Model Nation
Be sure you are subscribed to this podcast to automatically receive your episodes: