Manage episode 317924151 series 60566
There’s a public health crisis that’s destroying lives and killing our citizens—but it’s probably not the one you’re hearing about in the news. The CDC recently announced that the new leading cause of death for our citizens is fentanyl overdose. On today’s show, we’re going to dig into this topic and uncover what led us to this dire situation.
You’re going to learn about the rising rates of drug use, including the role that the FDA and pharmaceutical companies have played. You’ll hear how synthetic opioids are created and distributed, and how COVID-19 has impacted drug usage rates. We’re going to dive into some of the unethical aspects of our healthcare system at large, and how manipulation and greed within the pharmaceutical industry is hurting our citizens.
Most importantly, we’re going to walk through real solutions we can implement to create a culture of health for our families and how we can uplift our communities. This is a heavy and heartbreaking issue that is near and dear to my heart, and I invite you will listen with an open mind. Changing any aspect of our health starts with empowerment, and I hope you will find that in this episode of The Model Health Show.
In this episode you’ll discover:
- What the new leading cause of death is in the US.
- How the number of deaths from overdoses changed in 2021.
- The difference between opioids and synthetic opioids.
- How opiate receptors work in the body.
- The complex and systematic way that opioids affect the human body.
- How rates of substance abuse have changed during the pandemic.
- The role the FDA and pharmaceutical companies play in the distribution of drugs.
- How rates of overdose in the US compares to other countries.
- The history of oxycontin.
- How many people die from pharmaceutical drugs every year.
- The history of terms like pseudo-addiction and breakthrough pain.
- Which company is the number one producer of the plant that is used to make opioids.
- How fentanyl typically enters the United States.
- What polypharmacy is, and why it matters in the context of COVID-19.
- The percentage of US citizens that take prescription drugs.
- Three commonly prescribed drugs that are linked with poor COVID-19 outcomes.
- The problem with a drug-centered healthcare system.
- Why pharmaceutical marketing in the US is unethical.
- The importance of aligning yourself with a purpose.
Items mentioned in this episode include:
- Foursigmatic.com/model -- Get an exclusive discount on your daily health elixirs!
- Beekeepersnaturals.com/model -- Get 15% off raw honey & other natural remedies!
- The Truth About the FDA – Episode 512
- 5 Ways to Create a New Culture of Health & Success – Episode 544
- The Surprising Connection Between Your Purpose, Health, & Success – Episode 380
- Dopesick on Hulu
- The Crime of the Century on HBO
- Kill the Messenger on Prime Video
Join TMHS Facebook community - Model Nation
Be sure you are subscribed to this podcast to automatically receive your episodes: