Hmmm there seems to be a problem fetching this series right now. Last successful fetch was on February 27, 2022 22:33 ()
What now? This series will be checked again in the next day. If you believe it should be working, please verify the publisher's feed link below is valid and includes actual episode links. You can contact support to request the feed be immediately fetched.
Manage episode 274179936 series 2804543
First trimester screening is a test for genetic abnormality and is commonly called the Down Syndrome screen.
The types of test, the accuracy, the costs and the ability to give you a definitive answer about genetic abnormality is really not well understood by patients…and sometimes care providers.
At times, a screening test can create more questions than answers. Firstly, it is normal to assume all will be fine. Most of us do that, right?
It can then come as an enormous shock to you if you get a result you weren’t expecting, particularly if you haven’t had a really good chat with your care provider before the test.
This test is purely your choice. What you choose to do with the results is your choice.
Our hope is that we all (care providers, family, friends, community) then support your choice with respect and non-judgement.
In the GrowMyBaby program we give you expert led pregnancy information. If you are new to having a bump or you feel a bit lost in your pregnancy then head over to our pregnancy quiz:
In the meantime, have a listen to this podcast. It gives some key points to help you with your choice for first trimester screening tests.
- What are your chances of having a baby with a genetic abnormality
- How to assess your background risks
- What tests are available
- What are the timeframes to have each test
- What are general costs
And if you haven't subscribed yet - just hit the subscribe or follow button in your app of choice. A big thanks for listening, Brigid and Dr Pat.
- Ask a question on the podcast: Send a voice message to GrowMyBaby
- Join the Grow My Baby Program
- Get our tips for a CALM + CONFIDENT pregnancy
- Just pregnant? Download our checklist to take to your first appointment.
- Join the waitlist for our Pregnancy and Birth Course
- Website: https://www.growmybaby.com.au/