Andres Preschel interviews Kevin "063: Cardiovascular Disease, Statins, Metformin, and Rapamycin with Kevin Bass"
Manage episode 348375228 series 2635972
From Andres's show notes:
"Despite what we want to believe, cardiovascular disease does not only start once we are in our 50s and 60s. As we welcome Kevin Bass back to the Know Your Physio podcast, we hear his opinions on cholesterol, the medications to take, and opinions on collected long-term genetic studies. We don’t hold back on having a controversial conversation around starting the reduction of low-density lipoprotein (LDL) cholesterol in your mid to late 20s, the role of genetics in our predisposition to cardiovascular health issues, and how we need to look at things from an environmental, health, and nutrition perspective. Kevin tells us about his preferences and opinions on the different interventions for LDL cholesterol reduction and how he aims to (one day in the future) create a risk reduction calculator that will look at and create a risk-benefit profile. Plus, Kevin discusses his feelings toward Andrew Huberman, consulting medical professionals, and some signs of when it may be time to start looking at taking prescription cholesterol medication!
Key Points From This Episode:
- People in the fitness industry who are pissing Kevin off.
- Different calculations people can do to determine their risk of cardiovascular disease.
- Interventions for LDL cholesterol (including prescription medication) and their side effects.
- A look at how to reduce LDL cholesterol.
- Kevin’s opinions on Andrew Huberman.
- Unpacking cardiovascular disease considering your genetics and potential preventative measures.
- Why Kevin believes people 25 and older can start cholesterol medication.
- Where Kevin gets the long-term genetic studies data from.
- Analyzing and interpreting data on cardiovascular disease to create a relative risk reduction.
- Why Kevin wants to create his own risk reduction calculator and risk-benefit profile.
- Signs people should start looking for when deciding to take cholesterol medication.
- Questions to potentially ask your doctor to help you identify your cardiovascular risk (and why they may be unlikely to prescribe).
- A look at the purpose and benefits of statins, metformin, and rapamycin.
Links Mentioned in Today’s Episode:
Like, comment, subscribe.
For more, find me at:
PODCAST The Kevin Bass Show
And above all, please donate to support what I do: