Manage episode 348375229 series 2635972
From Andres's show notes:
"When it comes to nutritional science and social media it can be uniquely challenging to differentiate fact from hype. Here today, to help us unpack the topic of scientific influencers and misinformation is Kevin Bass, an MD and Ph.D. student, and founder of The Diet Wars, a site dedicated to upholding evidence-based nutritional research and exposing figures who spread nutritional and scientific misinformation online. We dig into how social media can incentivize the spread of misinformation, why these systems need to change, and take a closer look at the growing community of evidence-based nutritional science experts and influencers online. Tuning in, you’ll learn how to identify legitimate scientific influencers, and what red flags you should look out for when trying to avoid misinformation. Kevin also breaks down key areas of misinformation including how to combat sun damage, the so-called harms of seed oils, and how saunas can realistically benefit your health. Combating misinformation online is a huge challenge, but we can all find ways to better navigate the online space by thinking critically and by asking the right questions. Tune in for this important conversation on nutritional science, social media, and much more!
Key Points From This Episode:
- Learn about the power of Magnesium Breakthrough by BioOptimizers.
- Introducing today’s guest, Kevin Bass.
- Kevin’s early encounters with medicine, misdiagnoses, and how it informs his perspective.
- How current systems incentivize misinformation in the nutrition space.
- The growing evidence-based community in nutritional science and on social media.
- What sets evidence-based nutritionists apart from their counterparts.
- Tips on how to discern which experts to follow online.
- The benefits and harms of sunscreen use, and suggested alternatives for sun protection.
- Some of the advantages of early morning sun exposure.
- An overview of general attitudes toward seed oils and what is based on fact versus emotion.
- The role of anti-nutrients in certain foods and how they can work synergistically with other elements to produce positive outcomes.
- Examples of how influencers misrepresent information to sell their products on social media.
- What regular blood work can teach you about your physiology and your risk factors.
- How using steroids as a health professional affects your credibility.
- An overview of saunas, their potential benefits and harms, and how to utilize them appropriately.
- The science behind cold exposure, weight loss, and building resilience.
Links Mentioned in Today’s Episode:
Like, comment, subscribe.
For more, find me at:
PODCAST The Kevin Bass Show
And above all, please donate to support what I do: