Saturday Night Grit with Joe Malik
Manage episode 325193834 series 2467489
On this Saturday Night Grit, friend of the podcast, Joseph Malik, joins the crew. Joe has recently retired from the Military and is now working full-time as an author. He is the author of two books, Dragon’s Trail and New Magic, and is currently working on the final installment of the Outworlders series. His first book, Dragon's Trail, was released in September 2016 and is a #1 international bestseller. The second installment in the Outworlders series, New Magic, was released in September of 2018. He also has a blog where he shares his adventures in writing, research, and attending various conventions.
00:03 – Justin shares what he’s been drinking, talks about the last podcast they did with Billy, and the things he learned from doing that specific episode. They talk about the potential of the national legalization of marijuana, Justin talks about Joe attending the upcoming Norwescon, and Joe joins the conversation. He talks about becoming a Rum guy, his go-to Scotch, and Justin talks about his go-to drink. Joe talks about gardening during Covid, the various types of rabit he and his wife enjoyed for dinner, and shares that his wife is a former traditional archer state champion.
27:22 - Joe talks about being medically retired from the Military, transitioning into a full-time writer, and the number of tours he did while serving in the Army. He shares what panels he’ll be on at Norwescon, Scott talks about what he loved most about the convention, and Joe expresses the importance of the GCP guys going to RadCon in the Tri-Cities. Justin talks about them being at Crypticon, getting roped into panels there, and they dive into Coaster Questions.
55:26 – Scott talks about the pocket knife he carries, Joe talks about his everyday carry knives, and where he takes them. He answers the next Coaster Question, they talk about ebook pirates, and Scott talks about how a friend of the podcast, Ken, was pirated. Joe talks about the books he worked on during Covid, taking a break from his third book, and the crazy fans that he’s had to deal with post-release of his books.
79:07 – Scott shares that he’s enjoying a Truly, Joe talks about having to have his book cleared through the Pentagon before release, and losing some readers when he came out on Twitter against QAnon. He talks about being in a weird position during Covid, Justin talks about updates he follows on Twiter and TikTok related to the war, and they talk about what is failing with it. They give props to Al, Joe talks about institutional hazing in the foreign Military, and they close out by making plans for their next get-together.
Many thanks to Joe for rejoining the GCP guys!!!
Special Guest: Joseph Malik.
- Joseph Malik past visits with GCP
- Joseph Malik | NORWESCON Apr 15-17 (@jmalikauthor) / Twitter — Fantasy author repped by @HershmanRights. Veteran, swordsman, adventurer, husband, and retired gunslinger for the Illuminati. @SFWA @USSOCOM
- House passes landmark marijuana legalization bill — The House passed legislation Friday that would legalize marijuana nationwide, eliminating criminal penalties for anyone who manufactures, distributes or possesses the substance.
- Norwescon | The Pacific Northwest's Premier Science-Fiction and Fantasy Convention — Norwescon is the Pacific Northwest’s premier science fiction and fantasy convention, and one of the largest entirely volunteer-operated regional conventions in the United States.
- Joseph Malik – Writing and Fighting — The white-knuckle sequel to the #1 International Bestseller Dragon’s Trail “Tell me who you ride beside, and I’ll tell you who you are.” – Falconsrealm proverb
- Amazon.com: Joseph Malik: Books, Biography, Blog, Audiobooks, Kindle — In addition to fiction, Joseph Malik writes and lectures on advanced intelligence theory and asymmetric warfare for the U.S. military.
- Crypticon Seattle