Tim Butcher | Blood River, Africa's Broken Heart & The Congo Through The Eyes Of A War Journalist
Manage episode 319137672 series 2863193
🎙️: A Curious Worldview Podcast - Search, Subscribe 5-Stars! https://curiousworldview.buzzsprout.com/1485736
The following is a conversation with Tim Butcher, author, adventurer, international journalist.
Tim served as a journalist for over 20 years with The Daily Telegraph newspaper in the United Kingdom, holding a series of positions including lead writer, war correspondent, African Bureau Chief, and serving as the Middle East Correspondent.
Tim Butcher travelled overland the great, powerful, consuming and hostile, lungs of the Earth which is the territory we know as the Democratic Republic of the Congo. And what makes this one of the great adventures is that at the time he did, and likely since as well, it had been over 100 years since someone had successfully completed the journey.
You can expect to hear in this podcast about the following and more…
- The Risks Of The Congo
- The Beauty Of The Congo
- Tim Explaining Why Progress Is Inverted In The Congo (This Is The Most Important Part)
- Corruption & Kleptocracy Of The Congo
- + A Window Into Tim’s Latest Work
Jump In On My Newsletter 📋 🔑 - https://atlasgeographica.com/subscribe
Feel Free To Peruse My 📷 Instagram & Twitter 🐦 Mates!
- 00:00 – Introduction.
- 06:37 – What Makes Traveling The Congo So Exceptionally Difficult.
- 11:41 – The Risks Of Traveling Through The Congo.
- 35:21 – Why The Congo Is So Beautiful & The Unbelievability Of The Congo.
- 45:01 – Tim’s Motivation For Going To The Congo.
- 47:57 – Tim Explaining How Progress In The Congo Is Inverted.
- 1:08:21 – The Corruption, Kleptocracy & Crony Capitalism In The Congo.
- 1:13:47 – Why Nations Fail, Corruption & Giant Infrastructure Projects.
- 1:26:52 – Amazing Anecdote Regarding Health, Corruption & Covid.
- 1:29:28 – Classic Despotic African Corruption & Cliché Yachtlife.
- 1:31:50 – The Illusion Of Normalcy & What Makes A Nation.
- 1:46:46 – On Special Economic Zones In Africa.
- 2:01:36 – A Country You Are Most Bullish On.
- 2:04:06 – Afterthoughts & Ambition For The Podcast
A Curious Worldview Podcast - This is my main podcast project. I feature a whole suite of interviews on there covering all extensions of my interests. A Curious Worldview is for anyone interested in learning more about the world. - https://curiousworldview.buzzsprout.com/
Are you into Nassim Taleb, Skin In The Game, Antifragile, The Black Swan? I run a Nassim Taleb podcast covering all the wonderful ideas found in the 5 part Incerto series.
🎙️The Nassim Taleb & Incerto Podcast: - https://theincertonassimtalebpodcast.buzzsprout.com/
Contact me 🐦 for feedback and also for recommendations on what future episodes should be! Twitter @ryanfhogg
Contact me 🐦 for feedback!