Manage episode 283191859 series 2780304
Mike Russell is the Co-Founder & CEO of Monument.
Mike is a serial entrepreneur, having previously launched several businesses including VenueTap (positioned as a digital platform for club promoters) and Paintzen (a marketplace for buying paint and choosing paint contractors that was acquired by PPG in 2018).
Monument is an online alcohol treatment program designed for users with low to moderate consumption habits. Mike and his team launched Monument to help democratize access to personalized and affordable treatment for those looking to change their relationship with alcohol. Monument's flexible subscription model enables patients of all consumption levels to access a licensed physician, specialized therapist, community and/or prescribed medication.
Tune in to hear Mike’s story!
- (2:16) – The Origin Story
- (14:13) – The Build
- (43:34) – The Founder
- (1:02:58) – The Brainstorm
- (2:16) Mike’s background
- (6:07) What happened with VenueTap
- (7:21) Monument founding story
- (11:26) Approach to the monument platform
- (14:13) Building the business model
- (17:59) How to size the market opportunity
- (22:14) What concerns/questions did you have in the beginning
- (24:20) Critical decisions in the early days
- (29:18) Hiring
- (35:10) Fundraising
- (39:37) Mike’s Startup Manifesto
- (43:34) Mike’s unique approach to a venture fund
- (48:02) Battling cancer and shifting mentality
- (54:27) Words of advice to an 18 year old
- (57:06) Biggest needle mover tip/tactic
- (59:02) Mike’s wellness stack
- (1:02:58) The Brainstorm – Custom building 1990s Land Rover defenders and trading cards
The Founder - www.thefounderpod.com
- Follow The Founder (@founderpodcast) on Instagram // LinkedIn // Twitter // Newsletter
- Follow Kallaway on Twitter // Instagram
Don't have time to listen to the full episode? Read the 5-minute version here