Manage episode 332918349 series 2497504
The Football History Dude is part of the Sports History Network - The Headquarters For Sports Yesteryear.
Row One - the vintage shop for sports history fans!
Below is the book from this week's guest:
This week Sean Conley rides shotgun in the DeLorean to share some stories both, on and off, the field as an ex-NFL kicker. We get into many topics including:
- When and how he realized he wanted to "grow up and be an NFL kicker"
- His childhood diagnosis of ADHD and how it impacted his career (both positively and negatively)
- How he was a walk-on at the University of Pittsburgh as someone that never kicked in High School
- Why he chose the Detroit Lions as an undrafted free agent even though they already had All-Pro Kicker Jason Hanson on the roster
- His multiple interactions with my favorite athlete of all time, Barry Sanders
- The brief words Dan Marino gave to him that pretty much summed up the "simplicity" of being a kicker
- How Coach Amos Jones impacted his career and life
- What he thinks about Justin Tucker and Adam Vinatieri in the annals of NFL Kicking Lore
- How much a great holder and long snapper can really mean to the process of kicking
- His podcast, Happy Athlete
- His book - THE POINT AFTER: HOW ONE RESILIENT KICKER LEARNED THERE WAS MORE TO LIFE THAN THE NFL
- Much more....
Check Sean out on the Sports History Network!!!
A native of Erie, Pennsylvania, Sean Conley fell in love with kicking at age eight. After playing college football at the University of Pittsburgh, he began a dramatic, abbreviated NFL career, playing for the Detroit Lions, Indianapolis Colts, New York Jets, and finally for the Scottish Claymores in Europe.
That journey came with a price. As a result of overtraining, Sean suffered career-ending injuries. As part of his rehabilitation and regrouping, Sean became a dedicated yoga practitioner at the suggestion of his wife, Karen, a yoga instructor. He eventually embraced the mindfulness, meditation, and philosophy of yoga as a new life direction, and became a yoga teacher himself. He and his wife now own Amazing Yoga in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. Sean is the author of the Amazon Best Seller Amazing Yoga (Autumn House Press, 2010)and lives in Pittsburgh with Karen and their four children.
He’s the author of The Point After: How One Resilient Kicker Learned there was More to Life than the NFL. Sean has written for numerous publications including Yoga Journal and has been featured on dozens of podcasts. He recently gave a Ted Talk about pursuing dreams, resilience, reinvention, and gratitude.
Sean has been teaching for over 20 years. He leads yoga trainings and retreats all over the world. He has shared his love of yoga with lawyers, Hollywood actors, doctors, and people from all walks of life. He has worked with professional sports teams including the Pittsburgh Steelers, Penguins, and The University of Pittsburgh football and basketball teams.
Sean is also a Tree Ambassador for Community Carbon Trees which is protecting and preserving the rainforests in Central America.
GET IN TOUCH WITH SEAN
THE FOOTBALL HISTORY DUDE BACKGROUND
The Football History Dude is a show dedicated to teaching NFL fans about the rich history of the game we all know and love. I’m your host, Arnie Chapman, and I’m just a regular dude that loves football and is a nerd when it comes to learning about history. I created this show to share the gridiron knowledge nuggets I gain from researching various topics about the history of the National Football League. Each episode I welcome you to climb aboard my DeLorean to travel back in time to explore the yesteryear of the gridiron, and yes, that’s a reference to the Back to the Future Movies.