What About Sports? with Steve Stigall
Manage episode 341551760 series 2974136
Adam Griffin, Cassie Bryant, and Chelsea Griffin are joined by Steve Stigall to talk about what sports have to do with a family’s spiritual life and how to lead your home while your kids participate in sports.
Questions Covered in This Episode:
- Steve, would you introduce yourself and tell us about you, your family, your ministry, and a little of your sports resume?
- What are the benefits of sports for kids?
- What are some of the great lessons that kids can learn in sports?
- What are some of the sinful or concerning motivations you see for families engaged in sports?
- Do you ever see behavior in parents around sports that concerns you?
- Why is sports an important issue for us in regard to discipleship? What does it have to do with a family's spiritual life?
- You coached high school sports, did the idol of a scholarship ever concern you?
- What do you think about the commitment that families make to sports?
- What are some warning signs of when a good thing like sports becomes an idol that threatens our commitment to God?
- Do any scriptures come to mind for you that help us navigate this issue?
- What do you look for in a team and a coach and a sport when you want to evaluate whether it would be a blessing to your family?
- If our listeners want to pray for you and your family, what can they ask God for on your behalf?
Steve Stigall is on staff at Eastside Community Church as the Men’s Discipleship & Groups Pastor. Before he was in full-time ministry he was on the football coaching staff at SMU for 12 years doing recruiting, player development, and football operations. Prior to being at SMU, he was a college football player at UT. He is married to Kathie and they have four kids.
Resources Mentioned in This Episode:
- Deuteronomy 6:4-9, Hebrews 10:25, 1 Corinthians 6:12, 1 Timothy 6:6-7
Amazon affiliate links are used where appropriate. As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases, thank you for supporting Training the Church.
Instagram | Facebook | Twitter
Our Sister Shows:
Knowing Faith | Confronting Christianity
The Family Discipleship Podcast is a podcast of Training the Church. For ad-free episodes and more content check out our Patreon.