Manage episode 329610424 series 2499838
We explore the term ‘OCD’ and why it has no place as a marker of attention to detail for the professional editor.
Listen to find out more about
- The difference between character traits of orderliness and the lived experience of OCD
- What is OCD and how does it affect people?
- Why OCD is a noun and what that means for how we use the term
- How OCD might manifest
- How flippant and colloquial references to OCD diminish lived experience
- Intention versus perception of harm
- Editing text: querying rather than prescribing problems and solutions
- Does fiction offer more scope for use of harmful language?
- Alternative words and phrases
- Helping clients create engaging rather than distracting messages
Join our Patreon community
Our patrons benefit from access to PDF transcripts for all episodes featuring just Louise and Denise, and for some of our guest episodes. If you'd like to support The Editing Podcast, join our Patreon community!
Denise and Louise
‘Vivacity’ Kevin MacLeod (incompetech.com). Licensed under Creative Commons: By Attribution 3.0 License. http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/3.0/