Manage episode 359242997 series 2285741
Gordon Radlein (@maascamp, Engineering Director at @Datadoghq) talks about the evolution of Open Telemetry (OTel), Logging, Metrics and Observability.
CLOUD NEWS OF THE WEEK - http://bit.ly/cloudcast-cnotw
NEW TO CLOUD? CHECK OUT - "CLOUDCAST BASICS"
- Solve your IAM mess with Strata's Identity Orchestration platform
- Have an identity challenge you thought was too big, too complicated, or too expensive to fix? Let us solve it for you! Visit strata.io/cloudcast to share your toughest IAM challenge and receive a set of AirPods Pro
- Make Cloud Native Ubiquitous with Cloud Native Computing Foundation (CNCF)
- Join the foundation of doers, CNCF is the open source, vendor-neutral hub of cloud native computing, hosting projects like Kubernetes and Prometheus to make cloud native universal and sustainable
- KubeConEU Virtual Event Registration Code: Please use the code KCEUVCCP, while supplies last.
- CloudZero – Cloud Cost Visibility and Savings
- CloudZero provides immediate and ongoing savings with 100% visibility into your total cloud spend
- OpenTelemetry (OSS project)
- OpenTracing + OpenCensus = Open Telemetry (OTel)
- What is Open Telemetry?
- Open Telemetry Slack Channel
- Components of Open Telemetry
- OpenTelemetry in Datadog
- Trace Collection through Open Telemetry
Topic 1 - Welcome to the show Gordon. Tell us a bit about your background, and what you’re focused on these days at Datadog?
Topic 2 - Let’s start with some basics - help us connect the dots between Telemetry and Logs and Metrics and Observability. And how does the Open Telemetry (OTel) project fit into the bigger picture?
Topic 3 - Telemetry has always been a tradeoff between how much data to collect and how much data can be processed. How do you see companies using Telemetry today? Does it usually depend on the company size, or the complexity of the application?
Topic 4 - How does Datadog offer Open Telemetry to customers today? Has that evolved over time, as the standard has evolved?
Topic 5 - What are some of the new trends happening around Open Telemetry
Topic 6 - You’ve been around quite a bit of very large-scale infrastructure in your career. What are some of the tips that you’d give anybody trying to build out or scale their observability environments?
- Email: show at the cloudcast dot net
- Twitter: @thecloudcastnet