Mark Sisson: Reconciling Metabolic Flexibility With The Fully Fueled Approach
Manage episode 350568626 series 2421902
Mark Sisson joins me to discuss my recent reflections on the fundamental principles of ancestral health, metabolic flexibility, why any form of exercise counts as cardio, and the greatest misconceptions about ‘calories in, calories out.’
We talk about time-restricted feeding, training, glycogen and increasing carb consumption, and if there is an optimal number or range of calories you should take in every day. Mark also touches on why he describes his diet as “keto-ish” and not as fully keto, reveals what the ultimate “Ancestral skill” is, and explains the importance of looking at your meals granularly when you’re in performance mode.
Basic metabolism works pretty much in alignment in all of us. [01:40]
Is it as simple as calories in, calories out? [05:09]
Brad is enjoying his recent change in eating by consuming food in the morning instead of fasting and eating more fruit. [07:16]
The extra carbs that Brad is taking in have not added fat to his body. If one is consuming extra calories than one needs, the body adjusts to burn the excess calories. [11:11]
What is enough movement? What is enough protein intake? Our ancestors were focused on survival, not performance. [15:50]
We are wired to overeat. You need to be intuitive. [21:09]
Time restricted feeding’s benefit is that you are not consuming unnecessary calories. Eat the most amount of nutritious food that you can without gaining extra body fat. [25:00]
There has to be a balance in your athletic goals and how you want to live your life. [27:44]
Overdoing your exercise is antithetical to longevity. Eat more nutritious food (mostly protein) and move more. [39:46]
You can’t fix a bad diet with portion control. [43:24]
What about thyroid function? [44:40]
What does Mark’s future look like as far as his exercise routine goes? [45:31]
Join Brad for more fun on:
We appreciate all feedback, and questions for Q&A shows, emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org. If you have a moment, please share an episode you like with a quick text message, or leave a review on your podcast app. Thank you!
Check out each of these companies because they are absolutely awesome or they wouldn’t occupy this revered space. Seriously, Brad won’t promote anything he doesn’t absolutely love and use in daily life.
- Mito Red Light: Photobiomodulation light panels to enhance cellular energy production, improve recovery, and optimize circadian rhythm. Email me for special B.rad 10% discount and 60-day free trial!
- NutriSense: Continuous glucose monitor and 1:1 expert support to help optimize diet choices and lifestyle behaviors. $30 B.rad discount!
- Marek Health: Comprehensive lab testing and expert tele-health support for peak performance. Use code “BRAD” for 10% discount!
- LMNT Electrolyte Drink Mix: Tasty, sugar-free, scientifically formulated electrolyte drink mix with everything you need and nothing you don’t. Free sample pack, just click the link!
- B.rad Whey + Creatine Superfuel: Premium quality, all-natural supplement for peak performance, recovery, and longevity
- Male Optimization Formula with Organs (MOFO): Optimize testosterone naturally with 100% grassfed animal organ supplement
- Brad’s Macadamia Masterpiece: Mind-blowing, life-changing nut butter blend
- Online educational courses: Numerous great offerings for an immersive home-study educational experience
Check out the my Favorites page for discounts on other great products!
See omnystudio.com/listener for privacy information.