Manage episode 336997069 series 2291328
In today’s episode, we cover leadership with Dr. Karyn Gordon. Dr. Karyn Gordon is the CEO and co-founder of DK Leadership, a TED Talk speaker, and the Wall Street Journal Bestselling author of The Three Chairs: How Great Leaders Drive Communication, Performance, and Engagement.
Leadership skills are great for anyone to have, but they are crucial if you want to get ahead professionally, so what are the signs you need to work on your leadership skills, what can you do to work on them, and what’s the best way to ask for feedback so you know you’re improving?
What to Listen For
- Introduction – 0:00
- What are the five components of emotional intelligence?
- Signs your leadership skills are lacking – 18:11
- What are some signs you need to work on your leadership skills before you shoot for a leadership position?
- What exercise can you do with your team at work to identify weak spots in your leadership skills?
- The best way to ask for feedback – 24:45
- What can you do to ask your manager or supervisor for feedback that shows your willingness to excel within the company?
- What are the three chairs of leadership? – 41:03
- Who has the hardest time setting boundaries and what can you do to improve your ability to set better boundaries?
Leaders with a high emotional intelligence can inspire their followers to achieve great things. If you’re aspiring to be a leader, or are currently in a leadership position and feel like you could use some improvement, start by working on your emotional intelligence. There are many ways to do this, but one of the best is simply to ask for feedback. Let your manager or supervisor know that you want to excel within the company and that you’re willing to work hard to improve any areas where they see potential for growth. Then take that feedback and turn it into action. Finally, remember that setting boundaries is an important part of being a good leader. It can be difficult to say no sometimes, but it’s crucial if you want to maintain your own sanity (and health) while leading others.
A Word From Our Sponsors
Do you LOVE the toolbox episodes? Did you know that every week we give a LIVE mini-toolbox lesson inside our Private Facebook Group? Best of all it is FREE to join. Join today and get access to all of our live training and level up your communication, leadership, influence and persuasion skills. With 14,000 members it’s a great place to network, learn and overcome any obstacle that’s in your way.
Did you know that you can get the whole Art of Charm catalog when you subscribe to Stitcher Premium using our link? That’s 15 years of podcasts featuring expert guests and toolbox episodes! Sign up today and use Code “CHARM” to get a free month!
Running out of things to say in conversation… and still struggling to get people interested in you? That’s an uncomfortable position to be in. Don’t want to risk getting tongue-tied and screwing things up the next time you meet someone? Check out Conversation Magic now to make sure you don't crash and burn. With our bulletproof formula, you'll be flirting up a storm, sparking fun and engaging conversations, and making high-value friends anywhere!
Resources from this Episode
- Dr. Karyin Gordon’s website
- The Three Chairs: How Great Leaders Drive Communication, Performance, and Engagement by Dr Karyn Gordon
- Why Confidence Is The Secret To Great Leaders At Work & Home | TEDx
Check in with AJ and Johnny!