133 – Jacqueline Holland & At Last! Vampires!
Manage episode 357267844 series 2977606
Vampires, finally! After years of recording a horror podcast, I’ve finally recorded a conversation about the first thing you all probably think of if I said “horror monster.” Actually, at this very moment, maybe you’d name a Floridian politician but you get my drift…
I’m delighted to be joined by Jacqueline Holland, to talk about her new novel of bloodsucking and cursed immortality, The God of Endings. As with so many books featured on this show, it’s an offbeat look at an old trope, with a vampire that has no problem with garlic and who is not at all horny! She’s also a pre-school teacher in the 80s. That’s REALLY hardcore!
Jacqueline and I talk about horror imposter-syndrome, the history of New England vampires, monstrous mothers, the terror of living forever, and how she has always been…in her own words… a dark weirdo.
The God of Endings was published by on February 7th by Flatiron Books
Other books mentioned in this episode include:
- What I Didn’t See, and Other Stories (2002), by Karen Joy Fowler
- We Are All Completely Beside Ourselves (2013), by Karen Joy Fowler
- Food for the Dead: On the Trail of New England’s Vampires (2001), by Michael Bell
- Something Wicked This Way Comes (1962), by Ray Bradbury
- The Martian Chronicles (1950), by Ray Bradbury
- The Shining (1977), by Stephen King
- Just Like Mother (2022), by Anne Heltzel – Episode 92
- The Upstairs House (2021), by Julia Fine – Episode 27
Support Talking Scared on Patreon
Come talk books on Twitter @talkscaredpod, on Instagram, or email direct to email@example.comSupport the show