Manage episode 291717467 series 1331333
In this episode, SVCF Senior Investments Officer James Cutler is joined by Mission Driven Finance’s Chief Investment Officer Louie Nguyen and Social Finance’s Vice President of Social Investment Jackie Khor. Louie and Jackie, two leading investment practitioners, describe how impact investing has become a relevant tool in philanthropy and is leading investors to prioritize social good.
Listen to hear how impact investing differs from traditional grantmaking, and how this philanthropic tool leverages financial capital and human resources to get important community projects off the ground. You will learn how all three organizations use this model to support especially underserved communities and address inequities in affordable housing, education and more.
In SVCF’s Philanthropy Now podcast series, we explore trends in the world of philanthropy, social impact initiatives in Silicon Valley and beyond, and we look at how SVCF promotes innovative philanthropic solutions to challenging problems.
What you will learn:
- What is impact investing, and how it differs from traditional grantmaking
- How Louie and Jackie became leading impact investors
- How the first community IPO came to be and the significance of that innovation
- The role of impact investing in responding to the COVID-19 pandemic
- How investments can be leveraged to support underserved communities
Resources from this episode:
- Louie Nguyen, Chief Investment Officer, Mission Driven Finance
- Jackie Khor, Vice President of Social Investment, Social Finance
- James Cutler, Senior Investments Officer, SVCF
- Learn more about SVCF’s Recoverable Grants Pilot
- Learn more about SVCF’s Impact Investingoptions
- Inside Philanthropy Op-ed: To Support an Equitable Recovery, Donor Advised Funds Should Look Beyond Grantmaking