Manage episode 302852137 series 1186043
There’s something magical about the magic of home, and Sarah Hollowell wrote a whole book about it. We talk about spending time in the elementary school forest, being raised nerdy, and writing books for your high school self.
Content Warning: This episode contains conversations about or mentions of gore, abuse, child endangerment, queerphobia, mental illness, racism, fatphobia, bugs, and anger issues.
Sarah Hollowell is a queer fat Hoosier writer aiming to up the magic quotient of Indiana.She graduated from Ball State University with a degree in creative writing, and she remains there to this day. Sarah’s debut YA contemporary fantasy novel, A Dark and Starless Forest, is available now. Her work has also appeared on The NoSleep Podcast, Huffington Post, and Fireside Magazine, among others.
- Recommendation: This week, Amanda recommends the new season of Survivor.
- Books: Check out our previous book recommendations, guests’ books, and more at spiritspodcast.com/books
- Call to Action: Check out NEXT STOP: An audio sitcom that explores the turbulent time of your mid-to-late 20s when everyone is changing around you -- and you worry that you might not catch up. Season 1 is out now! Search for NEXT STOP in your podcast app or go to nextstopshow.com
- Skillshare is an online learning community where you can learn—and teach—just about anything. Explore your creativity at Skillshare.com/spirits and get a free trial of Premium Membership. This week Amanda recommends “The Ultimate Self-Care Playbook” with Jonathan Van Ness.
- Doordash is a fast, convenient food delivery app. Get 25% off and zero delivery fees on your first order of $15 or more when you download the DoorDash app and enter code “creepycool”.
- Brooklinen delivers luxury bed sheets, pillows, comforters, loungewear, & blankets straight to your door. Go to Brooklinen.com right now and use promo code “spirits” to get $20 off when you spend $100 or more.
Find Us Online
If you like Spirits, help us grow by spreading the word! Follow us @SpiritsPodcast on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, and Goodreads. You can support us on Patreon (http://patreon.com/spiritspodcast) to unlock bonus Your Urban Legends episodes, director’s commentaries, custom recipe cards, and so much more. We also have lists of our book recommendations and previous guests’ books at http://spiritspodcast.com/books.
Transcripts are available at http://spiritspodcast.com/episodes. To buy merch, hear us on other podcasts, contact us, find our mailing address, or download our press kit, head on over to http://spiritspodcast.com.
Spirits was created by Julia Schifini, Amanda McLoughlin and Eric Schneider. We are founding members of Multitude, an independent podcast collective and production studio. Our music is "Danger Storm" by Kevin MacLeod (http://incompetech.com), licensed under Creative Commons: By Attribution 3.0.