Manage episode 364161167 series 2391367
St. Catherine's Island sits off the coast of Georgia, just fifty miles south of Savannah. This beautiful barrier island has served as a wildlife refuge for several decades, but its history is far darker than what anyone who has visited the island's serene forests and peaceful beaches could ever imagine. In 1597, it was the site of a violent rebellion that left several Spanish friars dead. According to legend, some believe that the echoes of those friars can still be heard chanting in the night, even over four centuries since their demise.
Connect with Southern Gothic Media:
- Become a Patreon Supporter
- Join our New Facebook Group!
- Website: SouthernGothicMedia.com
- Merch Store: https://www.southerngothicmedia.com/merch
- Pinterest: @SouthernGothicMedia
- Facebook: @SouthernGothicMedia
- Instagram: @SouthernGothicMedia
- Twitter: @SoGoPodcast
Learn more about your ad choices. Visit megaphone.fm/adchoices