Manage episode 377679133 series 2815261
Our brains get used to big dopamine bursts from alcohol and this makes natural rewards like walking, nice weather, or spending time with friends or loved ones not have as much of an impact. When you get sober and you can’t get that dopamine boost from alcohol anymore, life can feel flat, boring, and like why bother. In this episode I’m going to explain why we feel a lack of pleasure, or anhedonia, in early sobriety, what months are the toughest, what causes this to happen in the brain, and when you can expect to feel joy, pleasure and gratitude again.
What to listen to next:
E62: dopamine deep dive
E99: why we can never drink again
Resources I offer:
- Community & Meetings: Living a Sober Powered Life https://www.soberpowered.com/membership
- The Sober Mindset Course https://www.soberpowered.com/the-sober-mindset-course
- (Free Private Podcast) 5 Blocks Holding You Back From Quitting Drinking
- Weekly emails on Thursdays where I explain the latest episode in more detail, share images to help you understand the concepts, share announcements, interviews, writing, discount codes and more. https://view.flodesk.com/pages/6107260617e156c4839768b5
- Ask a question, it could appear on the show! https://forms.gle/oKubeJKMZimkHvUJA
Thank you for supporting this show by supporting my sponsors. Learn more:
If you enjoyed this episode please consider buying me a coffee to support my work https://www.buymeacoffee.com/soberpowered
Sources are posted on my website
Disclaimer: all of the information described in this podcast is my interpretation of the research combined with my opinion. This is not medical advice.
Learn more about your ad choices. Visit megaphone.fm/adchoices