Manage episode 290724907 series 1943363
The Biden Administration has failed to facilitate the admission of more refugees into the United States, which was a campaign promise and a much longed-for change from the punitive policies of the Trump era. Michael Isikoff, Daniel Klaidman and Victoria Bassetti are joined by Mark Hetfield, the president and CEO of HIAS, the Jewish-American refugee advocacy group, to talk about the refugee resettlement program and what the Biden Administration could — and should — do to serve this humanitarian need.
Then, investigative journalist and Yahoo News contributor Jana Winter joins to talk about her recent bombshell story about a covert operation to monitor citizens’ social media posts being run by the United States Postal Service. What do we know about this program, and what more can we find out?
- Mark Hetfield (@MarkJHetfield), President and CEO, HIAS
- Jana Winter (@janawinter), Investigative reporter and contributor, Yahoo News
- Michael Isikoff (@Isikoff), Chief Investigative Correspondent, Yahoo News
- Daniel Klaidman (@dklaidman), Editor in Chief, Yahoo News
- Victoria Bassetti (@VBass), fellow, Brennan Center for Justice (contributing co-host)
- “‘Broken promise’: Biden’s backtrack on refugees still slammed by advocates” by Laura Barrón-López, Politico (Apr. 16, 2021)
- “Why the White House wanted to avoid the refugee issue” by Natasha Korecki, Laura Barrón-López, and Nahal Toosi, Politico (Apr. 21, 2021)
- “The Postal Service is running a ‘covert operations program’ that monitors Americans’ social media posts” by Jana Winter, Yahoo News (Apr. 21, 2021)
Follow us on Twitter: @SkullduggeryPod
Email us with feedback, questions or tips: SkullduggeryPod@yahoo.com
See acast.com/privacy for privacy and opt-out information.