Manage episode 376713399 series 1337812
Welcome to episode 351 of Sexology Podcast! Today I am delighted to be speaking with Dr. Douglas Weiss. In this episode, we discuss betrayal in relationships, how therapeutic polygraphs can help in rebuilding trust and the value of intentional rituals and emotional intimacy to create a strong relationship.
Dr. Douglas Weiss is a psychologist and the founder of Heart to Heart Counseling Center, which specializes in the treatment of sexual addicts, intimacy anorexics and their spouses. He has counseled with sex addicts and their partners for almost three decades. Heart to Heart Counseling Center maintains weekly 3 and 5 Day Intensives that couples fly in from all over the world to attend, dozens of weekly groups, hundreds of weekly appointments with 16 counselors on staff. Dr. Weiss personally continues to provide 5 Day Intensives at the Center. Dr. Weiss has been in recovery for over 34 years, he and all of the counselors at Heart to Heart verify their sobriety with regular polygraphs.
Dr. Weiss has authored more than 40 books and offers 30 therapeutic DVDs for men, women and marriages. He is proud to be the first author to write a book for the partners of sex addicts. Dr. Weiss was the first to coin the term Intimacy Anorexia which is the withholding of emotional, physical and spiritual intimacy in marriage.
He’s been the expert guest on numerous national shows including Oprah, Dr. Phil and Good Morning America. He has had two documentaries, Lifetime TV Network and a British documentary produced about his practice. He is also the President of the American Association for Sex Addiction Therapy (AASAT) which is a certification training program for sex addiction, partners of sex addicts, and intimacy anorexia.
In this episode, you will hear:
- Understanding more about betrayal in relationships
- How infidelity can cause intense trauma and various reactions from individuals
- Why therapeutic polygraphs can help in rebuilding trust and establishing boundaries
- The need for reassurance and commitment in moving forward
- The role of self-care and not taking on new responsibilities during healing
- Looking at anger as a work exercise
- Why we need intimacy-building practices and disciplines in relationships
- The value of intentional rituals and emotional intimacy
Podcast Produced by Pete Bailey - http://petebailey.net/audio
Advertising Inquiries: https://redcircle.com/brands
Privacy & Opt-Out: https://redcircle.com/privacy