Manage episode 337670971 series 2614897
Georg Link | Richard Littauer | Dawn Foster | Willem Jiang | Amanda Casari | Ben Nickolls
Hello and welcome to CHAOSScast Community podcast, where we share use cases and experiences with measuring open source community health. Elevating conversations about metrics, analytics, and software from the Community Health Analytics Open Source Software, or short CHAOSS Project, to wherever you like to listen. Today’s episode is a shared podcast between Sustain and CHAOSS. We have six panelists to talk about maintaining open source and we’ll also do a quick update from a previous episode and talk about what has changed and what maintaining open source looks like today. The panelists we have are Georg Link, Richard Littauer, Dawn Foster, Willem Jiang, Amanda Casari, and Ben Nickolls. Download this episode now to find out much more, and don’t forget to subscribe for free to this podcast on your favorite podcast app and share this podcast with your friends and colleagues!
[00:00:38] The six panelists introduce themselves.
[00:04:04] Richard details more about what Sustain is, Georg and Dawn explain CHAOSS and what’s going on there, and Amanda shares what she likes about CHAOSS.
[00:13:15] Dawn talks about the kind of community members CHAOSS has, Willem tells us about the Asia community, and Ben shares his views on the Sustain community.
[00:19:22] Georg asks if there’s been any updates on the funding situation in open source and if anything has changed there and Ben updates us.
[00:22:34] When thinking about resources, who gets paid, how money flows, and how we identify when help is needed, Amanda wonders how that’s changed in the last few years in the CHAOSS community.
[00:25:09] Richard shares from his angle what he’s seen about what has changed in the past two years in open source.
[00:27:09] Ben shares his views on the supply chain conversation about who is making money in open source.
[00:29:06] Since security is such a hot topic, Georg asks if we’re prepared in all the open source projects to really focus on this topic or if we have to upskill everyone, and we hear Ben’s thoughts on this.
[00:31:02] Richard explains how you can get involved in Sustain happenings that are going on, and Georg and Dawn inform us about some projects, working groups, and other things going on with CHAOSS.
[00:39:17] Find out where you can get involved with Sustain and CHAOSS.
- [00:34:21] Georg’s pick is meeting with an online local group and doing cool things together.
- [00:35:06] Richard’s pick is going on a super long hike and buying a hydration pack (CamelBak Pouch).
- [00:35:56] Dawn’s spotlight is GraphiQL.
- [00:36:34] Ben’s spotlights are taking care of Swifts on his roof, and the book, Swifts and Us: The Life of the Bird that Sleeps in the Sky.
- [00:36:55] Amanda’s pick is the book, Burnout: The Secret to Unlocking the Stress Cycle.
- [00:38:03] Willem’s pick is ApacheCon Asia 2022.
- SustainOSS Twitter
- SustainOSS Discourse
- Sustain Podcast
- CHAOSS Project Twitter
- CHAOSScast Podcast
- CHAOSS Community Participate
- Ford Foundation
- Georg Link Twitter
- Richard Littauer Twitter
- Dawn Foster Twitter
- Willem Jiang Twitter
- Amanda Casari Twitter
- Ben Nickolls Twitter
- Sustain Podcast-Episode 65: CHAOSS and Sustain: A Joint Podcast
- Executive Order on Improving the Nation’s Cybersecurity (The White House)
- Sustain 2021 Event Report
- Mozilla-Open Source Archetypes: A Framework For Purposeful Open Source May 2018
- CamelBak Crux 3-Liter Water Reservoir
- Swifts and Us: The Life of the Bird that Sleeps in the Sky by Sarah Gibson
- Burnout: The Secret to Unlocking the Stress Cycle by Emily Nagoski, PhD and Amelia Nagoski, DMA
- ApacheCon Asia 2022
- Working in Public: The Making and Maintenance of Open Source Software by Nadia Eghbal