Manage episode 366020643 series 2977252
CW: medical weight stigma, BMI, bariatric surgery, and some discussion of restrictive post-surgical diets
Last month, Naomi had a really difficult medical experience, and when she shared about it on Instagram, she got a lot of responses from people saying how helpful it was to hear how she navigated it. Unfortunately, experiences like these are way too common, and hearing about how other people navigate them can both take the shame out of them, and also help us to prepare.
So, this week, we're unpacking Naomi's real life experience of weight stigma, including:
- How she navigated a contentious weigh-in request
- How she responded to an inappropriate recommendation for bariatric surgery
- Why her experience clearly illustrates how weight stigma exists on a spectrum, and how privilege and stigma can co-exist
- The complicated emotions this experience brought up, and why feeling bad is a normal response
- The tools she used to process these emotions after the appointment
Want to work on cultivating these kinds of skills & building resilience to diet culture? The waitlist is open for Naomi's new cohort of Nourish & Bloom, her 40 week group Intuitive Eating workshop! There's no obligation for joining the waitlist, but if you choose to enroll, you'll get a bonus 1:1 call with Naomi to use at any time during workshop, plus a fun snail mail gift! Get all the info & join the waitlist here!
Want to connect with us to deepen the conversation? Join us in our online community, The Satisfaction Space!
Want to show the world that you love the pod? Get t-shirts, sweatshirts, mugs, stickers, totebags & more at Teepublic!
You can stay up to date on all things Satisfaction Factor by following us on IG @satisfactionfactorpod!
Here's where to find us:
Sadie Simpson: www.sadiesimpson.com or IG @sadiemsimpson
Naomi Katz: www.happyshapes.co or IG @happyshapesnaomi