Manage episode 362311593 series 2977252
This week, we’re talking about a very hot topic that has been requested of us multiple times - the weight loss drugs Ozempic & Wegovy (plus a little bit about Mounjaro & Saxenda)!
Note: We are not registered dietitians, or doctors, or medical providers of any type, and this podcast does not constitute medical advice!
Instead, this episode is more of a research roundup. We did all the Google searching & reading so you don’t have to if you don’t want to. (But also, if you do want to, we’ve provided links to everything below.) Generally, though, a great deal of our research was pulled from the work of Ragen Chastain, Dr. Asher Larmie, and Christy Harrison.
And, lastly, a content warning: A lot of the articles & studies we’ll provide will include the o-word, BMI references, references to body weights, and references to disordered eating behaviors. Also, even the articles that talk about the problems with these drugs still often paint them in a positive light. We did our best with language within the episode, but use caution, especially if you decide to follow the links.
In this episode we're covering:
- The basics of how each of these drugs work & what they're prescribed for
- The marketing & popularity of these drugs (including a story from Sadie that will blow your mind!)
- Harmful drug side effects
- Why the risk/benefit analysis for taking these drugs is different for diabetes than it is for weight loss
- The impact that marketing of these drugs for weight loss is having on folks living with diabetes and eating disorders
- Why these drugs are actually not a miracle "cure" for fatness
- How these drugs (and other weight loss drugs) keep getting approved, despite their harms & ineffectiveness
Want to connect with us to deepen the conversation? Join us in our online community, The Satisfaction Space!
Want to show the world that you love the pod? Get t-shirts, sweatshirts, mugs, stickers, totebags & more at Teepublic!
You can stay up to date on all things Satisfaction Factor by following us on IG @satisfactionfactorpod!
Here's where to find us:
Sadie Simpson: www.sadiesimpson.com or IG @sadiemsimpson
Naomi Katz: www.happyshapes.co or IG @happyshapesnaomi