#61 - What's Wrong With the American Academy of Pediatrics Guidelines for Higher-Weight Children with Anna Lutz
Manage episode 353430127 series 2977252
*Content Warning: This week's episode contains use of the O-word, as well as discussion of weight loss surgery.*
Earlier this month, the American Academy of Pediatrics released a new guideline document containing weight loss recommendations for children as young as two years old. So this week, we are talking to Anna Lutz, MPH, RD, LDN, CEDRD-S
about everything that's wrong with these recommendations.
Anna Lutz is a Registered Dietitian in Raleigh, NC. Anna and Elizabeth Davenport, another anti-diet RD, are the co-creators of Sunny Side Up Nutrition, a blog and podcast that focus on nutrition, cooking and family feeding, free of diet culture. Anna is also the co-owner of a private practice in Raleigh, NC, Lutz, Alexander & Associates Nutrition Therapy. Anna specializes in eating disorders and pediatric/family nutrition and enjoys mentoring and providing clinical supervision to other dietitians.
We had an amazing conversation about...
- How these recommendations are a full reversal of the AAP guidelines from 2015, and the conflicts of interest that likely influenced this shift
- The life-long physical, medical, and relational harm of weight loss recommendations for children
- The increased risk for eating disorders & weight cycling that will likely result from these recommendations
- Why weight loss recommendations are never a solution to weight stigma
- How parents can navigate pediatrician appointments in light of these recommendations
- And what health markers actually are important for kids!
You can find out more about Anna & about diet-free parenting at Sunny Side Up Nutrition or Lutz Alexander Nutrition Therapy | Raleigh Durham Chapel Hill (lutzandalexander.com).
Or you can connect with Anna via social media on Instagram or Facebook!
Referenced in this episode:
Serious Issues with the American Academy of Pediatrics Guidelines for Higher-Weight Children and Adolescents by Ragen Chastain
Special Edition: Dangerous New American Academy of Pediatrics Guidelines for Higher-Weight Children by Ragen Chastain
A Letter to Your Child's Doctor
Don't Talk About My Child's Weight Cards
Want to connect with us to deepen the conversation? Join us in our online community, The Satisfaction Space!
Want to show the world that you love the pod? Get t-shirts, sweatshirts, mugs, stickers, totebags & more at Teepublic!
You can stay up to date on all things Satisfaction Factor by following us on IG @satisfactionfactorpod!
Here's where to find us:
Sadie Simpson: www.sadiesimpson.com or IG @sadiemsimpson
Naomi Katz: www.happyshapes.co or IG @happyshapesnaomi