Manage episode 297406021 series 2950908
Do you deeply understand your body and your physiology?
Dr. Rishma Walji is a licensed and registered Naturopathic Doctor and Acupuncturist. She has an undergraduate degree from McGill University in physiology and a PhD in pharmaceutical sciences from the University of Toronto. Rishma did two post-doctoral fellowships at McMaster University, one in health and aging and one in pregnancy and pediatrics. All that means is that she has a unique balance of scientific, evidence-based knowledge and natural, holistic healing experience. What Rishma has learned is that there are options. There are steps you can take, once you learn how things work.
In this episode, we dive straight into what it means to be a Naturopathic Doctor. This type of Doctor will look at lifestyle changes, herbal medicines, vitamins, and nutrients. Also, they will try to put together the root cause of why a patient may be seeing issues. For example, if someone has a headache every day, you need to understand why you are getting that headache. Eventually, a Naturopathic Doctor will get to the root cause of your issues.
Typically, Dr. Rishma will see women who are having issues with their period. Whenever a woman has these issues, it means their body is telling them something is not going well. It’s not normal for us to be having excessive symptoms. Western culture believes that our body is broken once a month; we start to think our period symptoms are just typical. Therefore, women don’t try and make their symptoms better. Dr. Rishma tells us that these symptoms are not normal, and we can do something about them!
Later, Dr. Rishma reveals what every woman needs to know about hormones. Plus, we speak about the importance of understanding our bodies and how traumatic experiences will imprint on our psyche.
In This Episode:
- About Dr. Rishma Walji and what Naturopathic Doctors do [ 2:25 ]
- What common symptoms Dr. Rishma will help women with [ 8:30 ]
- About the different pieces + seasons of our cycles [ 13:05 ]
- What we need to know about our hormones [ 19:00 ]
- How Dr. Rishma will measure a hormone imbalance [ 28:15 ]
- The inspiration behind Dr. Rishma’s career [ 34:00 ]
- The importance of understanding our bodies [ 38:25 ]
- How traumatic experiences will imprint on our psyches [ 47:50 ]
- “Understanding your body is the most powerful way to address any issue.”
- “Your body is talking to you.”
- “We don’t learn how to understand our body symptoms.”
- “The cycle is just as important as your blood pressure and just as important as your heart rate.”
- “We have such a negative connotation to the cycle; I don’t want my daughters growing up thinking they are less than because they are women.”