Manage episode 297406016 series 2950908
How can you feel empowered as you approach the most meaningful event of your life?
Dr. Nicole Calloway Rankins is a board-certified, practicing OB/GYN, wife, mom, podcast host, and course creator, here to help you have your most beautiful pregnancy and birth experience. Born into a family of educators, Dr. Nicole felt the pull to medical school the day she looked in the mirror and saw a vision of herself in a white coat. And get this… it happened while she was studying to be an engineer. But that vision has led her to deliver more than 1,000 babies and demystify childbirth for thousands of more women.
I am blessed to have Dr. Nicole with me. If you haven’t guessed, she is incredibly passionate about childbirth. Dr. Nicole believes that women should be at the center of their birthing experience. You are going to love this podcast episode and the wisdom that she brings to it. We end up talking a lot about the idea of women wanting a natural birth. However, most women don't know that they desire an empowered birth. Women want to be in control of things to stay open and surrender to the birthing process.
Overall, the birthing journey's outcome is what women really remember - whether it was an empowered journey or not. This episode is an excellent way for you to dive into the birthing process. You will get so much information about creating a birth that reflects the wisdom that women have within them. We can choose what is right for us and our birthing experience. Tune in as we chat about how we can change our birthing system, the background behind twilight sleep, and the elements of a safe birthing space.
In This Episode:
- About Dr. Nicole Calloway Rankins [ 1:30 ]
- What drew Dr. Nicole to this profession [ 5:00 ]
- What’s wrong with the birthing system in the United States [ 11:50 ]
- Knowledge is power when it comes to birth [ 15:30 ]
- Why women need to be at the center of their birth [ 23:30 ]
- About twilight sleep [ 25:50 ]
- The elements of a safe birthing space [ 32:20 ]
- Why you may want to consider having a doula [ 39:40 ]
- Practicing deep breathing for the birthing process [ 50:50 ]
- What different hospital cultures might mean for the birthing experience [ 67:10 ]
- “Women should be at the center of their birth experience.”
- “Ultimately, what makes women satisfied with their birth experience is that they felt listened to.”
- “All I do is deliver babies; I couldn't imagine doing anything else. It is what I was made to do.”
- “Women don't realize how much power they have, not just in birth, but in their in their lives.”
- “The fastest way that our system is going to change is for women to demand it.”
- Dr. Nicole’s Website: https://drnicolerankins.com/
- Dr. Nicole’s Podcast: https://drnicolerankins.com/podcast/
- Dr. Nicole’s Birth Course: https://drnicolerankins.com/birth-course/
- Dr. Nicole’s Birth Plan: https://drnicolerankins.com/birth-plan/
- Follow me on Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/lea.pickard
- Follow me on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/lea.pickard