975: Chef Cleophus Hethington CDC Zak the Baker
Manage episode 358417749 series 1016716
Cleophus Hethington is the Chef de cuisine at Zak the Baker in Miami. Chef Ophus started his post-school life in the Navy as a corpsman. He left and worked in healthcare for about 8 years before switching careers entirely and working at Yardbird, opened by John Kunkel, in Miami. He worked in many restaurants, and other cities outside of Miami, before becoming the Chef de Cuisine at Zak the Baker, a nationally-known restaurant among the Wynwood Walls of Miami.
Check out episode 250 and episode 971 with John Kunkel as mentioned in today's episode!
Unstoppables! Please consider taking this survey about our listener demographics so that we can better determine how to best serve our listeners. Less than 10 simple questions. Here is the link: CLICK HEREShow notes… Calls to ACTION!!!
- Join Restaurant Unstoppable Network and get your first 30 days on me! Connect with my past guest and a community of superfans.
- Subscribe to the Restaurant Unstoppable YouTube Channel
- Join the private Unstoppable Facebook Group
- Join the email list! (Scroll Down to get the Vendor List!)
- "The solution lies in the salt and spices."
In this episode with Cleophus Hethington we will discuss:
- Imposter syndrome
- How the navy prepares you for a civilian career
- Mental health in the industry
- Race in the industry
At Popmenu, we know that in today’s world, a great hospitality experience usually begins online. Keeping the conversation with guests going beyond the meal also requires simple, powerful, fun technology capable of expression through all kinds of channels. Our team takes pride in helping restaurants put their best foot forward digitally so they can focus on what they do best. We think PDF menus are super boring, we believe 3rd party platforms have had too much say in how consumers find their next dining experience and we deeply feel that sharing your beautiful menu doesn’t have to be so difficult, time-consuming and expensive. As a listener of the Restaurant Unstoppable, you'll receive $100 off your first month of Popmenu!
Join the 60-day Restaurant Systems Pro FREE TRAINING. This is something that has never been done before. This 60-day event is at no cost to you, but it is not for everyone. Fred Langley, CEO of Restaurant Systems Pro, will lead a group of restaurateurs through the Restaurant Systems Pro software and set up the systems for your restaurant. During the 60 days, Fred will walk you through the Restaurant Systems Pro Process and help you crush the following goals: Recipe Costing Cards; Guidance in your books for accounting; Cash controls; Sales Forecasting(With Accuracy); Checklists; Budgeting for the entire year; Scheduling for profit; More butts in seats and more… Click Here to learn more.
- Which “it factor” habit, trait, or characteristic you believe most contributes to your success?
- I show up
- What is your biggest weakness?
- What's one thing you ask or look for when interviewing/growing your team?
- Do you care? Do you show up?
- What's a current challenge? How are you dealing with it?
- Share one code of conduct or behavior you teach your team.
- What is one uncommon standard of service you teach your staff?
- Try to not day no
- What's one book we must read to become a better person or restaurant owner?
- The Myth of Normal by Gabor Maté
- GET THIS BOOK FOR FREE AT AUDIBLE.COM
- What's one piece of technology you've adopted within your restaurant walls and how has it influence operations?
- Culture tanks
- What is one thing you don't feel restaurateurs do well enough of often enough?
- Open restaurants
- If you got the news that you'd be leaving this world tomorrow and all memories of you, your work, and your restaurants would be lost with your departure with the exception of 3 pieces of wisdom you could leave behind for the good of humanity, what would they be?
- The solution lies in the salt and the spices
- It's just food
- Food is a starting point
Instagram: @chefophusThanks for listening!
Thanks so much for joining today! Have some feedback you’d like to share? Leave a note in the comment section below!
If you enjoyed this episode, please share it using the social media buttons you see at the top of the post.
Also, please leave an honest review for the Restaurant Unstoppable Podcast on iTunes! Ratings and reviews are extremely helpful and greatly appreciated! They do matter in the rankings of the show, and I read each and every one of them.
And finally, don’t forget to subscribe to the show on iTunes to get automatic updates.
Huge thanks to Cleophus Hethington for joining me for another awesome episode. Until next time!Restaurant Unstoppable is a free podcast. One of the ways I'm able to make it free is by earning a commission when sharing certain products with you. I've made it a core value to only share tools, resources, and services my guest mentors have recommend, first. If you're finding value in my podcast, please use my links!