Sarah Mackenzie will help your kids fall in love with books, and will help *you* fall in love with homeschooling.
Manage episode 294325307 series 2441368
By Future Focused Parenting, Kira Dorrian, and Deana Thayer. Discovered by Player FM and our community — copyright is owned by the publisher, not Player FM, and audio is streamed directly from their servers. Hit the Subscribe button to track updates in Player FM, or paste the feed URL into other podcast apps.
“What do you want to be when you grow up?” Today on Raising Adults we dive into this age-old question that so many kids get peppered with from adults. It's an interesting question considering so many of us are probably still trying to figure it out ourselves. Brace yourselves; Kira came up with an acronym in this episode! So, join us today as we unpack this famous question and what we really think about it. "Now I think it's one of the most useless questions an adult can ask a child - What do you want to be when you grow up? As if growing up is finite. As if at some point you become something, and that's the end." - Michelle Obama. "When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down 'happy.’ They told me I didn't understand the assignment, and I told them they didn't understand life." - John Lennon. We'll discuss:
- Kira shares what she wanted to be when she grew up (5:16)
- Kira's why (6:06)
- Deana shares what she wanted to be when she grew up (7:51)
- Deana's why (9:10)
- Connecting with children and generational gaps (10:04)
- Being a Future Focused Parent and having room to be fluid (12:15)
- Kira talks about feeling locked in to a decision she made at nine (16:27)
- The importance of knowing your child's personality (17:44)
- Giving kids the room and option to change their mind freely (20:15)
- Let's change the "What do you…" to "Who do you…" (21:46)
- Kira's on the spot funny acronym W.H.O. (24:27)
- If Deana and Kira could change jobs right now and do anything - what would it be? (26:36)