Manage episode 286314457 series 2793784
Grace Semler Baldridge, who professionally goes by the artist’s name, ‘Semler,’ is a self-identified sad, queer, folk artist.
Semler created the docuseries, State of Grace on Refinery29, where she explores what it means to identify as a Christian and a member of the LGBTQ community. The docuseries was nominated for a GLAAD Award for Outstanding Digital Journalism.
Just a few weeks ago, Selmer made history by being the first-ever out queer person to top the Christian music charts with her new album, Preacher’s Kid.
- Faith and Identity: Queer who rediscovered clear sense of self via deconstruction
- Great Movements: Starts with something small that peaks interest and curiosity
- Leading Example: Dad, an Episcopal priest, was loving, affirming, and accepting
- Wider Church Culture: Not spared from questioning mixed messages, rules
- Preacher’s Kid: Compilation of honest, raw, explicit, processed Christian music
- Inch of Peace: Reflecting on church camps, but not moved by the spirit
- Painful to Pray: Pro Christians who abuse others by acting in the name of God
- Jesus From Texas: Learn that blessings are sins; own both the blessing and pain
- Different Worship Experience: Make space for complex relationships with creator
Links and Resources:
Grace Semler Baldridge on Twitter Grace Selmer Baldridge on Instagram Grace Selmer Baldridge on TikTok Under Our Roof Podcast State of Grace on Refinery29 Preacher’s Kid Jesus From Texas on SoundCloud Murder With Friends Pop Trigger Jennifer Knapp Pure by Linda Kay Klein Masterclass: 4 Practices You Can Start Now to Move Beyond Shame Queerology Podcast on Instagram Queerology Podcast on Twitter Beyond Shame by Matthias Roberts Matthias Roberts on Patreon