Manage episode 315609115 series 2782604
Kelly Starrett, DPT breaks down the most common causes of shoulder injuries in CrossFit athletes and explains what can be done for prevention.
Starrett attributes most injuries to:
- Poor preparation or taking insufficient time to warm up
- Athletes lacking the necessary range of motion
- Generally not treating the shoulder with the same care as the rest of the body
To address shoulder discomfort before it becomes a problem, he recommends:
- Increasing soft tissue work by adding mobilization between sets during training sessions and doing myofascial release with a foam roller and ball at home
- Expanding your repertoire of warm-up exercises to restore normal range of motion in the shoulder joint
- Checking in with your breathing. Maintaining regular breath patterns often restores mobility.
To learn more about CrossFit Precision Care and how to get involved as a healthcare provider or patient visit care.crossfit.com.
If you like this episode, please subscribe to Pursuing Health on iTunes and give it a rating or share your feedback on social media using the hashtag #PursuingHealth. I look forward to bringing you future episodes with inspiring individuals and ideas about health every Tuesday.
Disclaimer: This podcast is for general information only, and does not provide medical advice. I recommend that you seek assistance from your personal physician for any health conditions or concerns.