Manage episode 361173634 series 2125047
Fostering Connection: Building Social and Emotional Health in Children and Teens is the latest book by Dr. Tish Taylor, a child psychologist with more than 25 years of experience.
Fostering connection is also key to boys’ social, emotional, and overall well-being. But how do we teach our boys to connect? How can we best connect with them?
Through her work, Dr. Tish noticed certain patterns of behavior in kids, teens, and adults. She dubbed some of these patterns Connectors and others, Disconnectors. The Helpful Coach Connector, for instance, sees smarter and more effective ways to handle a situation and is willing to call a time-out to ponder options.
In contrast, the Insulator, a Disconnector, doesn’t want help or constructive criticism.The Insulator is emotionally overwhelmed and wants other to go away!
“I tried to simplify things and make it more concrete,” Dr. Tish says, nothing that, “You can see all of these behaviors and patterns in anyone.” Some of the disconnecting behaviors, though, are perhaps more frequently seen in people with ADHD or oppositional defiant disorder (ODD).
In this episode, Jen, Janet, & Dr. Tish discuss:
- Connecting vs. disconnecting behaviors
- Adults as behavior role models
- Managing feelings of failure and inadequacy
- Disconnecting behaviors common to ADHD and ODD
- What to do when kids don’t want to apologize
- Interacting with a kid who’s in “fight” mode
- Fostering flexible thinking
- Dealing w a morning “grumpmeister”
- Managing your reactions to your boys’ modds
Links we mentioned (or should have) in this episode:
tishtaylor.com — Dr. Tish’s website (includes Connectors & Disconnector cards & images)
Fostering Connection: Building Social and Emotional Health in Children and Teens, by Dr. Tish Taylor
Parenting “Spicy” Boys — ON BOYS episode
Teaching Boys Social Skills — ON BOYS episode w ADHD Dude Ryan Wexelblatt
Sponsor Spotlight: Better Help
Therapy to help you live a more empowered life. Go to BetterHelp.com/onboys to save 10%
Sponsor Spotlight: FITAID
Clean Energy + Sports Recovery. Go to drinkfitaid.com/ONBOYS and get 40% off
* Check out BabyQuip and use my code ONBOYS for a great deal: http://www.babyquip.com
* Check out BetterHelp and use my code ONBOYS for a great deal: https://www.betterhelp.com/
Advertising Inquiries: https://redcircle.com/brands
Privacy & Opt-Out: https://redcircle.com/privacy