Manage episode 301936996 series 2810962
Resources and reading about current events:
- Stop It With The Fucking Coat Hangers
- How Ida Turned Basement Apartments Into Death Traps
- Underground Lives: The Sunless World of Immigrants in Queens
- Why an East Harlem Street Is 31 Degrees Hotter Than Central Park West
- We Looked for Some of the Hottest Places in California. We Found Climate Injustice in a Nutshell.
- How to find, contact, and donate to your local abortion fund
- Chip in for Texas Abortion Funds
- For Reproductive Equity » Lilith Fund
- Just Ida Recovery – Another Gulf Is Possible/Otro GOLFO ES POSIBLE
Thanks to the pandemic, gathering with others, whether for social or professional reasons, has become complicated, overwhelming, and fraught. But when we read The Art of Gathering, which was published in 2019, we both realized that author Priya Parker’s guidance and expertise means it doesn’t really have to be any of those things. And in fact, hosting gatherings that are special, enriching, and enjoyable is actually possible, even during the pandemic. We decided to prove it in this episode by planning a pretend (small, outdoor, vaccinated) party.
This episode was produced by Rachel and Sally and edited by Lucas Nguyen. Our logo was designed by Amber Seger (@rocketorca). Our theme music is by Tiny Music. MJ Brodie transcribed this episode. Follow us on Twitter @OhILikeThatPod.
Things we talked about:
- The Art of Gathering: How We Meet and Why It Matters by Priya Parker
- The New Rules of Gathering (Priya Parker’s free gathering planning guide)
- Just a Bunch of East Ways to Make Vaxxed Hangouts Safer in the Delta Era by Rachel Wilkerson Miller for VICE
- The Design Sprint by Google Ventures
- 19 Unforgettable Ways to Make Up for Lost Time With Friends This Summer by Amy Rose Spiegel for VICE
- Meme declares it's finally fall, now you 'can really start dressin' by Nicole Gallucci for Mashable
- Untold: Malice at the Palace on Netflix
- Untold: Deal With the Devil on Netflix (content note: this documentary includes graphic discussion of intimate partner violence)
- WEATHER IS HAPPENING (on Twitter @WEATHERISHAPPEN)