Manage episode 296973655 series 2810837
This is an episode for anyone who has a gut feeling that their digestive system isn’t quite right. Let’s take a closer look at SIBO or Small Intestine Bacterial Overgrowth. Historically, SIBO was widely considered a controversial and contested diagnosis, but it has recently gained traction as a viable explanation for a wide variety of gastrointestinal manifestations. Joining us today to help you better understand SIBO is “poop-savvy” naturopathic doctor, Renata Zambo. Our understanding of the human microbiome and all of the bacteria that live in our gut has progressed rapidly over the last couple of years and, in this episode, Dr. Zambo explains what SIBO is, what life experiences or habits are putting us at greater risk, and some of the most common mistakes that many of us are making. You won’t believe how many of the foods and supplements you take because you believe they have a positive impact on your gut, are actually making things worse! Tune in today for an eye-opening and thought-provoking conversation with Dr. Renata Zambo.
Key Points From This Episode:
- An introduction to Dr. Renata Zambo and her practice.
- Dr. Zambo shares her 101 on probiotics, starting with the fact that they can sometimes cause more digestive distress than benefit.
- Why digestive health is so individualized; the same treatments work differently for everyone.
- Some of the common symptoms of SIBO to look out for, including dermatological conditions.
- Why irritable bowl syndrome (IBS) and SIBO are often confused.
- The broad range of risk factors associated with bacterial overgrowth, from trauma to diet.
- Find out why Dr. Zambo recommends both a breath test and a stool test to test for SIBO.
- Understanding the correlation between digestive enzymes and stomach acid.
- How to promote the production of digestive enzymes through diet and lifestyle adaptations, including better sleep hygiene and stress management.
- The importance of treating both the root cause and treating the symptoms.
- Some of the natural supplements Dr. Zambo recommends, like ginger for abdominal pain.
- A word from our sponsor, Joel Thuna of Pure-Lē Natural, about their Chocolate Chlorophyll.
- Why an active eradication of antimicrobials is nonnegotiable, according to Dr. Zambo.
- Foods to avoid for better gut health, including what are known as high-FODMAP foods.
- The associated risks of taking some antibiotics over others.
- The lightning round: learn about Dr. Zambo’s morning routine, preferred superpower, and favourite crayon colour, among other things!
- One key takeaway for listeners: you can regain control over IBS and SIBO, you just need the right person in your corner.
Links Mentioned in Today’s Episode: