Manage episode 287098165 series 2810837
Standing in the supplement aisle can sometimes be overwhelming. Do you ever wish that you could wave a magic wand to make the perfect herbal supplement magically appear? Well, you’re in luck, because today’s guest could even be referred to as a real-life herbal wizard! In this episode, Joel Thuna of Pure-lē-Natural reveals things about popular plant supplements and shows us where the real magic lies. He is a fourth-generation master herbalist, and can often be heard lecturing on the topic of natural medicine around the country. He is also a frequent author for numerous publications and is currently working on his first book. Tuning in, you’ll hear Joel share more about his current favorite plant, the herbal expertise of his family, and the Emerson College of Herbology, founded by his relative, Dr. Jack Thuna in the 1950s. You’ll learn about the benefits of goldenseal, comfrey, and adaptogens like Siberian ginseng, as well as vitamins D, D3, and K2, and Joel talks about the next generation of Thuna herbalists. Tune in today!
Key Points From This Episode:
- Learn about Joel’s current favourite plant, goldenseal or hydrastis canadensis.
- Joel talks about the herbal adventure he went on with his mother in the Boreal Forest.
- Lightning Question Round: from what Joel ate last and what he would want with him if shipwrecked to whether he prefers cake or pie.
- Find out more about the history of the Thuna family and their expertise in herbal medicine.
- Hear about the comfrey plant and why it was also known as knitbone.
- Find out more about the Emerson College of Herbology, founded by Dr. Jack Thuna.
- The work Pure-Lē-Natural did with botany and genomics professor, Dr. Steven Newmaster.
- The most influential graduate from the Emerson College of Herbology that inspired Joel to go into herbalism; his father.
- What it was like for Joel to grow up in the Thuna family, seeing how natural medicine improved the lives of others.
- Stress, herbs, and adaptogens: why Joel reaches for Siberian ginseng or ashwagandha.
- Joel shares his advice for when is best to incorporate adaptogens into your lifestyle.
- Hear more about Pure-Lē-Natural’s Vitamin D3 + K2 Drops; how it works and what it does.
- Why Joel believes that vitamin D is a vitamin that “breaks all the rules.”
- Why you choose Pure-Lē-Natural’s supplements, starting with the company’s philosophy.
- The rational behind combining fibre and enzymes in Pure-Lē-Natural’s Fiberrific product.
- Joel explains why he insists on testing a product himself before offering it to the public.
- Learn more about the benefits of vitamin K2 and why Joel is so excited about it.
Links Mentioned in Today’s Episode: