Manage episode 339297372 series 2391740
Today’s show takes a look at postpartum depression through a firsthand account of the struggle to understand and heal. My guest is another example that finding just the right therapy makes all the difference because the same treatment modalities don’t work for everyone. Join us for Amanda’s inspiring story.
Amanda Cunningham is a Pop/R&B singer-songwriter, wife, and mother of a 10-year-old daughter. Songwriting and singing provide her with an outlet to put her oversharing to good use, letting others know that it’s okay to poke fun at your imperfections and the trauma you’ve gone through and grown from. Amanda has struggled with mental health throughout her life, most recently having been diagnosed with Bipolar II, and she’s here to share her postpartum depression story and her journey to find healing. She shares helpful insights about her feelings of guilt and what it’s like to live in the “fog” of mental health issues. Amanda and I hope that her story can be an avenue of healing for others in similar situations.
- An overview of Amanda’s chaotic life and mental health struggles when she got pregnant at age 19
- How Amanda had virtually no help or support when her daughter was born
- How the first two years of motherhood were a blur of mental fog for Amanda that she didn’t realize until years later
- How Amanda’s Bipolar II diagnosis came in recent months, confirming what she suspected about her mental health issues
- Why it’s a massive flaw in our standard postpartum care for healthcare providers not to ask more about how a new mother is coping
- Why Amanda started therapy when her daughter was a few years old
- How Amanda found music as part of her healing and recovery
- Why it’s easier to look back with a new perspective when enough time has passed
- What Amanda has learned about her journey
- Amanda’s advice to others in similar situations
Visit my website, www.wellmindperinatal.com, for more information, resources, and courses you can take today!
Learn more about your ad choices. Visit megaphone.fm/adchoices