36. But How Do I Talk To Loved Ones About My Disordered Eating?
Manage episode 323502348 series 2969132
Talking to loved ones about recovery from disordered eating (or the choice to give up dieting) is complicated. We created this episode to share with friends and family who want to support your journey but aren’t quite sure what to say. We’ll discuss:
- Sarah & Stef’s experience of talking to friends about binge eating
- When your disorder is not taken seriously
- The difference between support and “getting it”
- What do we need from loved ones to support us?
- When supporters are “concerned for your health”
- Defensive conversations with family members
- When people assume recovered means thin, or that this is a matter of willpower
- Asking for specific support: What do you need?
Connect with the show!
Instagram – https://www.instagram.com/lifeafterdietspodcast/
Email – firstname.lastname@example.org
Connect with Sarah Dosanjh
Website – www.thebingeeatingtherapist.com
YouTube – https://www.youtube.com/c/TheBingeEatingTherapist
Sarah’s book I Can’t Stop Eating is available on Amazon
Connect with Stefanie Michele
Website – www.iamstefaniemichele.com
Work With Stef - www.iamstefaniemichele.com/application