Manage episode 282467278 series 2570442
Jim speaks with Dr. Stephen Porges who is known throughout the world as the founder of Polyvagal Theory and the music-based intervention, the Safe and Sound Protocol ™ , which currently is used by more than 1400 therapists to improve spontaneous social engagement, to reduce hearing sensitivities, and to improve language processing, state regulation, and spontaneous social engagement.
Dr. Porges has published more than 300 peer-reviewed papers across several disciplines and, in 1994, proposed the Polyvagal Theory, a theory that links the evolution of the mammalian autonomic nervous system to social behavior and emphasizes the importance of physiological state in the expression of behavioral problems and psychiatric disorders.
Listen in as they discuss:
- How the vagus nerve is a conduit for mind-body connection.
- Why a mother’s lullaby helps us calm down through a structure in the middle ear.
- How higher vagal tone is related to better health.
- What is “violation of expectancy” and how we can use it for good.
- How a person’s nervous system can “retune” due to illness or trauma history —and much more!
Learn more about Dr. Porges groundbreaking work: https://www.stephenporges.com/