Manage episode 330906087 series 2794269
Trena Chellino is a married mother of 3 from Atlanta, Georgia. She grew up in eastern Washington state, in the Columbia Valley and started running 10 years ago at the age of 48 when a hiking friend wanted to run a marathon and invited her along. After completing a few road marathons, she found trail running and never looked back. Now at the age of 58, Trena states her favourite distance is the 100 miler, and she has become a sought after ultra running coach.
Kim met Trena and shared some miles with her at the Tahoe Rim Trail Endurance Run 100 mile race in 2019. They kept in touch and recently reconnected at the Gorge Waterfalls 100K in April. It was there, in their PJs as they laid out their race gear in the hotel room, that she discovered Trena was a devoted fan of the show and also had her own very powerful story to share.
In this episode, we talk about:
- Trena’s favourite races and moments on course
- The things to consider in choosing your next big race
- The UESCA Ultrarunning Coaching Certification and why she completed it
- How life stress plays an integral part in how we train and race
- Trena’s personal cumulative trauma experience
Finally, we talk about how running has been her companion as she ran away and then back towards on a figurative out and back course of healing and life. Trena opens up and shares her intimate story in a way that only one who has gone to a very dark place and been saved by grace and forgiveness can do. Her courage and faith have brought her tremendous insight and we know there is someone out there who needs to hear her story. Episodes like this are why the Inspired Soles podcast exists.
Connect with Trena:
- Facebook: @trena.chellino
- Instagram: @trenachellino
Resources we discussed in the episode:
- Favourite Mantra: Stop listening to yourself and start speaking to yourself
- Favourite Place to Run: Kennesaw Mountain
- Bucket List Race: Western States; Lavaredo (Italy)
- Favourite Running Movie: McFarland, USA
- Favourite Post Run Indulgence: Ice cream
Connect with Carolyn & Kim: