Manage episode 318658678 series 2396549
Today is Bell Let's Talk Day, and we couldn’t be more excited to have today’s guests joining us on the show to chat about the launch of a NEW and exciting initiative called The Manitoba Farmer Wellness Program. We all have mental health. Many of us will either have a mental illness or know someone living with some form of mental illness. Did you know that…… 58% of farmers meet the criteria for an anxiety disorder. 35% of farmers meet the criteria for a depression diagnosis. 40% of farmers are reluctant to get help due to stigma. You are not alone! It can be difficult to know where to turn for help when stress on the farm begins to feel overwhelming. That is why the Manitoba Farmer Wellness Program was created. In this episode, Tracy speaks with Roberta Galbraith, Marcel Hacault, and Gerry Friesen about this exciting new mental health endeavor. They chat about:
- Gerry tells our audience about the Manitoba Farmer Wellness Program, why it was created, and how it is different from what already exists.
- Is this a crisis service, you may ask? Our guests share more about how and at what capacity the program will serve farmers.
- Marcel shares that this program was developed specifically for Manitoba farmers and their families – to offer a safe and flexible way to get the help they are looking for.
- We chat about how farmers can access the program.
- Confidentiality is key. This short-term counseling program is delivered by professionals and your information is completely confidential. Giving farmers the peace of mind to remain anonymous when looking for help.
- Tracy and Roberta chat about whether or not the government is supporting the program, financially or otherwise.
- They answer the question on everyone’s mind…how much does this service cost farmers? Spoiler alert… it’s FREE, and farmers can access up to six sessions per individual. Roberta explains that the program's goal is to ensure that farmers are getting the support they need without the worry of paying for the service.
The likelihood that mental illness will impact your farming community is greater than you might think. Tune into today’s episode and learn more about The Manitoba Farmer Wellness Program and the tremendous work that they are doing.
............................... SHOW RESOURCES
Mental health is a personal journey, one where there are no right or wrong answers. Learn more about the Farmer Wellness Program - www.farmerwellnessprogram.ca/Donate to the Farmer Wellness Program - Click here to donate Become a Farmer Wellness Counsellor - Click here to become a counsellor Get started on your journey - Book your appointment here ONTARIO Farmer Wellness Program - Click Here PRINCE EDWARD ISLAND Farmer Wellness Program - Click Here ...............................