Manage episode 359158697 series 1919368
Are you ready to take your gardening skills to the next level and avoid common pitfalls? Spring is finally here, and it's time to get ready for gardening season! But before you start planting, it's important to know what not to do in your garden. That's why we've brought back Joe Lamp'l of joegardener.com to share his expertise on common gardening mistakes and how to avoid them. From beginners to seasoned gardeners, there's something for everyone in this fun and informative discussion!
In this episode, we learn:
- [03:41] Why you shouldn’t fear mistakes when starting a garden!
- [06:05] How gardening mistakes can lead to unexpected positive results and help you improve
- [08:00] What is the guideline for seed sowing density in intense planting method?
- [08:43] How often should you check on your seedlings to prevent legginess and promote growth?
- [10:15] Why seedlings need special care to grow properly
- [11:01] What are the biggest gardening mistakes?
- [12:23] #1 Forgetting to plan!
- [15:15] What is the definition of garden planning and how should you do it?
- [16:13] What is necessary for successful gardening planning?
- [17:39] Plan your balcony garden with a diagram and use garden planners to organize your planting
- [20:00] How did Joe feel about starting gardening with two rose bushes?
- [21:07] What's the order for planning tasks (daily, weekly, monthly, quarterly) when planting for spring, summer, and fall?
- [24:00] Where can you find container varieties of plants specifically bred for limited-space gardening?
- [27:35] #2 Overdoing it!
- [28:54] Why does gardening make us feel optimistic and ambitious?
- [32:34] #3 Improper spacing!
- [35:27] Why are plants forgiving?
- [36:07] #4 Leaving your soil bare!
- [38:50] How can one mitigate the negative consequences of bare soil?
- [40:31] Joe’s favorite type of mulch!
- [42:37] #5 Planting too early or too late! Oopsies!
- [44:20] How fix the problem if you started gardening either too early or too late?
- [47:23] Where can you find a personalized gift with a variety of colors, sizes, and sounds available?
- [49:35] List of garden hurdles you might face!
- [49:34] #1 What if you have an apartment?
- [50:38] #2 What should you do if you have a garden with space but has low light or shade?
- [51:50] What if you don’t have a budget for gardening?
- [54:55] #3 What if you’re overwhelmed?
- [56:13] How to avoid weed overwhelm
- [59:18] What is Joe’s new course Organic Vegetable Gardening all about?
- [01:03:20] Joe explains what a single module in the OVG course would entail
- [01:06:55] The OVG course is on sale for $100 less during its launch week!
Mentioned in our conversation:
- Territorial Seed Company’s Garden Planners
- Grow Bag Gardening
- Joe’s Books
- Joe’s newest course Organic Vegetable Gardening
For a list of Joe's gardening tips and tricks,
Thank you to our episode sponsors:
Territorial Seed Company
For this garden season, Territorial Seed Company is making sure no one is left behind. Grow plants that have been tested and bred specifically for container gardening, so you can maximize your limited space. Skip the lines at the garden center and let Territorial Seed Company deliver top-of-the-line, healthy and hardy plants right to your door! They have a great line of pre-grown plants, an expansive seed catalog, and over 40 years of experience delivering the best seeds and plants for everyone's garden. Whether you are looking for berries, flowers or edible plants in either seed or seedling form, Territorial Seed Company has your back.
Get 10% off by visiting territorialseed.com/growingjoy - discount applied at checkout.
Wind River Chimes
Bring more peace, serenity, and magic into your home with chimes. Wind River is a Virginia-based company creating premium handcrafted and hand-tuned wind chimes for over 35 years. If you are looking for a new way to grow joy in your life and find a moment of peace, a Wind River chime is the perfect addition for your home or garden. Plus, it's a perfect personalized gift for your loved ones!
Visit windriverchimes.com and use code GROWINGJOY to receive free engraving on all Corinthian Bells wind chimes.
Follow Maria and Growing Joy:
Order my book: Growing Joy: The Plant Lover's Guide to Cultivating Happiness (and Plants) by Maria Failla, Illustrated by Samantha Leung
Join the Bloom and Grow Garden Party Community Platform & App AKA the plantiest and kindest corner of the internet! Get your FREE 2-week trial here!
Take the Plant Parent Personality Quiz (Get the perfect plants, projects and educational resources for YOUR Lifestyle)
Support Bloom and Grow Radio by becoming a Plant Friend on Patreon!
Subscribe to the Growing Joy Youtube channel! /growingjoywithmaria
* Check out HelloFresh: https://www.hellofresh.com
* Check out Quince: https://www.quince.com/
* Check out Rosetta Stone and use my code TODAY for a great deal: https://www.rosettastone.com/
Advertising Inquiries: https://redcircle.com/brands