Manage episode 367818334 series 1919368
Flowers have totally mesmerized people for ages with their awesome colors, shapes, and smells. We're totally obsessed with them, and they've been a huge part of our cultures, traditions, and personal bonds for as long as we can remember. In this episode, we're going to talk about the history of flowers with a celebrated garden writer, Noel Kingsbury. We'll explore the history and meanings behind flowers, how they've evolved alongside pollinators, and the special relationships we have with these amazing plants.
In this episode, we learn:
- [05:22] When did Noel’s passion for plants and flowers start?
- [07:41] Noel shares his earliest plant memory
- [08:47] The inspiration behind Noel's book “The Story of Flowers”?
- [11:19] What is cultivation and how has it changed throughout the centuries?
- [12:43] Similarities and differences observed in the various human civilizations
- [15:37] Difference between high and low culture in plant profiles
- [16:32] Why is dahlia considered a low-brow flower in old British history?
- [18:36] Where can you find handcrafted wind chimes perfect for wedding and housewarming gifts?
- [20:13] Where can you find all your potting mix, planting soil, and fertilizer needs for gardening?
- [22:18] Are orchids considered high-class flowers?
- [23:54] What is the significance of flowers' affordability and accessibility throughout history?
- [25:30] Symbolism of the Iris flower in different cultures and civilizations
- [28:16] How flowers create a sense of identification and long-term connections with people
- [31:08] Why flowers and pollinators are in a lockstep co-evolutionary relationship.
- [33:47] What fact surprised Noel the most in his research about flowers?
- [36:17] Interesting facts about common flowers found in your garden
- [39:15] What brought Noel to Portugal?
- [39:29] Opium poppies have a complicated history with varying legalities
- [40:48] What lotus flowers symbolize
- [42:06] What is Noel’s favorite flower?
- [43:25] Where can you find Noel on social media?
Mentioned in our conversation:
- Book by Noel Kingsbury The Story of Flowers: And How They Changed the Way We Live
- Thursday Garden Chat for Garden Masterclass
- Book by Jane Perrone Legends of the Leaf
For a full list of flowers and their symbolism,
Thank you to our episode sponsors:
Wind River Chimes
Bring more peace, serenity, and magic into your home with chimes. Wind River is a Virginia-based company creating premium handcrafted and hand-tuned wind chimes for over 35 years. If you are looking for a new way to grow joy in your life and find a moment of peace, a Wind River chime is the perfect addition for your home or garden. Plus, it's a perfect personalized gift for your loved ones!
Visit windriverchimes.com and use code GROWINGJOY to receive free engraving on all Corinthian Bells wind chimes.
Grow an abundance of flowers with the right products! Espoma Organic is dedicated to making safe indoor and outdoor gardening products for people, pets, and the planet. They have an amazing variety of high-quality, organic potting mixes, garden soil, fertilizers, and pest control products that are organic and eco-friendly. To top it all off, they have a huge sustainability commitment with a 100% solar powered plant, zero waste manufacturing and eco-friendly packaging.
Follow Maria and Growing Joy:
Order my book: Growing Joy: The Plant Lover's Guide to Cultivating Happiness (and Plants) by Maria Failla, Illustrated by Samantha Leung
Join the Bloom and Grow Garden Party Community Platform & App AKA the plantiest and kindest corner of the internet! Get your FREE 2-week trial here!
Take the Plant Parent Personality Quiz (Get the perfect plants, projects and educational resources for YOUR Lifestyle)
Support Bloom and Grow Radio by becoming a Plant Friend on Patreon!
Subscribe to the Growing Joy Youtube channel! /growingjoywithmaria
* Check out Quince and use my code joy for a great deal: https://www.quince.com/
* Check out Quince: https://www.quince.com/
* Check out Rosetta Stone and use my code TODAY for a great deal: https://www.rosettastone.com/
Advertising Inquiries: https://redcircle.com/brands