Manage episode 363440070 series 1919368
Do you love the smell of fresh flowers or the aroma that wafts through your home as you cook with herbs? Smell might not be the first thing we think of when it comes to gardening, but it's actually a super powerful way to bring joy to our gardens! In fact, our sense of smell has strong associations with our long-term memories and emotions. Today, we're chatting with my friend Amy Anthony, a certified clinical aromatherapist and aromatic gardener, who will share her expertise on how aromatic gardening can cultivate joy, calm, and memories through scent.
In this episode, we learn:
- [05:08] How Amy's passion for plants led to her expertise in aromatherapy
- [06:46] How the process of obtaining an aromatherapy certification works
- [09:33] How scents can trigger memories through the olfactory system
- [14:28] Is the connection between the olfactory system and the brain due to the nose's proximity?
- [16:57] Where can you find high-quality potting mix and fertilizer for your garden?
- [19:06] Are you searching for personalized and premium wind chimes for Mother's Day?
- [22:37] What is aromatic gardening and which plants are its focus?
- [24:54] Various plants that repel pests or deer
- [26:26] Can you easily grow aromatic plants, distill their oil, and use it at home?
- [27:41] Why you should add aromatic plants to your garden
- [30:57] Amy grows aromatic plants to make tea, hydrosols, and tinctures
- [34:51] What are the recommended methods for brewing lemon balm tea?
- [36:56] What’s your go-to resource for identifying plant diseases, preventing animal damage, and setting up a successful garden?
- [37:52] Amy's recommended plants to promote relaxation
- [40:09] Which plants are ideal for an afternoon energy boost?
- [42:31] Which plants promote connection with oneself or others in the context of aromatherapy or sensuality?
- [45:50] What non-culinary herbs should you try growing?
- [49:20] Which staple plant is recommended for aromatic gardening?
- [53:04] Where can you find Amy on social media?
Mentioned in our conversation:
- Book by Dr. Qing Li Forest Bathing: How Trees Can Help You Find Health and Happiness
- Poem by Twyla M. Hansen The Other Woman
- NYC Aromatica Plant Talks
- NYC Aromatica Online Classes
For a list of herbs, flowers, and their benefits,
Thank you to our episode sponsors:
Wind River Chimes
Bring more peace, serenity, and magic into your home with chimes. Wind River is a Virginia-based company creating premium handcrafted and hand-tuned wind chimes for over 35 years. If you are looking for a new way to grow joy in your life and find a moment of peace, a Wind River chime is the perfect addition for your home or garden. Plus, it's a perfect personalized gift for your loved ones!
Visit windriverchimes.com and use code GROWINGJOY to receive free engraving on all Corinthian Bells wind chimes.
Make sure your aromatic herbs and plants are getting the right nutrients! Espoma Organic is dedicated to making safe indoor and outdoor gardening products for people, pets, and the planet. They have an amazing variety of high-quality, organic potting mixes, garden soil, fertilizers, and pest control products that are organic and eco-friendly. To top it all off, they have a huge sustainability commitment with a 100% solar powered plant, zero waste manufacturing and eco-friendly packaging.
The Vegetable Garden Problem Solver Handbook by Susan Mulvihill
This gardening season, arm yourself with The Vegetable Garden Problem Solver Handbook by veggie-growing guru Susan Mulvihill of YouTube Susans in the Garden!This book will become your go-to resource for all natural pesticide free solutions and troubleshooting for the gardening woes that will inevitably arise in your garden. The Vegetable Garden Problem Solver Handbook will help you properly identify over 28 bacterial and fungal diseases like powdery mildew, leaf spot, and potato scab, limit damage from plant eating animals and most importantly, it'll help you set your garden up for success to actually prevent these problems from ever happening.
Follow Maria and Growing Joy:
Order my book: Growing Joy: The Plant Lover's Guide to Cultivating Happiness (and Plants) by Maria Failla, Illustrated by Samantha Leung
Join the Bloom and Grow Garden Party Community Platform & App AKA the plantiest and kindest corner of the internet! Get your FREE 2-week trial here!
Take the Plant Parent Personality Quiz (Get the perfect plants, projects and educational resources for YOUR Lifestyle)
Support Bloom and Grow Radio by becoming a Plant Friend on Patreon!
Subscribe to the Growing Joy Youtube channel! /growingjoywithmaria
* Check out Quince and use my code joy for a great deal: https://www.quince.com/
* Check out Quince: https://www.quince.com/
* Check out Rosetta Stone and use my code TODAY for a great deal: https://www.rosettastone.com/
Advertising Inquiries: https://redcircle.com/brands